Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Purple Leaf Disorder

Posted by barnhardt9999 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 0:23

I think my tomatoes have TPLD. Can anyone offer any insight on what to do?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp259

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Purple Leaf Disorder

here's current info. I wonder if your tomatoes do have that disorder. Self diagnosis often goes awry. Can you post pictures?

http://www.growingproduce.com/article/9506/tackling-tomato-purple-leaf-disorder

Here is a link that might be useful: current info

o

preliminary studies suggest that TPLD is caused by an infectious agent, like a virus or viroid.

If it's a virus, and they all already have it, I would think that there are no cures.

Bugs like thrips and whiteflies transmit viruses, probably all the bad bugs do. So bug control on your next plants would be the best way to not get it again.

o

Where do you live?

o

I live in NC. It has rained every afternoon for the past 5 days and the dewpoint has stayed around 70 or higher. The purple foliage seems to be more prone to early blight. These pictures are from about a month ago. Other than the blight, the plants seem fairly healthy and are still producing.

I would love to post pictures but the link URL doesn't have a browse function so I can't point somewhere on my hard drive. I could type it in but I'm too intolerant of programers not making things user friendly.

o

Why not try clicking on the "Choose file button" rather than being so intolerant. Takes you right to browsing through your computer.

Better yet just upload your pics to one of the many free storage sites like most people do and C&P the http url to your message here?

Dave

o

Here is a branch.

o

and a leaf.

o

And the plant.

o

Hi I am having the same problem. From the advice I've been given, it could be a lack of phosphorous or possibly magnesium. I was told to fertilize with a 10-50-10 . If I remember the numbers correctly.
Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here