Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nugrdnnut

spoiled by Sungold... others though.

nugrdnnut
10 years ago

My Sungold tomatoes continue to produce well and they taste fantastic. The other tomatoes we have tried since getting back from vacation have been somewhat disappointing, including: pink Brandywine, Goliath, 4th of July and a few others. We still have to try Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and beefsteak.

I wonder if the wonderful taste of the Sungold has spoiled us or if the others are not having a great year? Any comments are appreciated and I will report back on CP, BK, and the other beefsteak.

Tom

PS the bonnie plant that we bought that was labeled as black cherry, was not. It is pear shaped, grows to about 2 - 3 times the size of Sungold and has an insignificant taste.

Comments (13)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have never grown Sungold, but based on what I have read about it, I have come to the conclusion( even without first hand tasting it) that it is an exceptional tomato.

I will keep in mind to grow some next year , for sure.
    What is its DTM (from transplant to ripe fruit) ?

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

DTM ( days to maturity) is from when the plants are first put outside until first ripe fruits.

In Europe they calculate it from when seeds are sown until first ripe fruits, which gives pause to some when they see numbers like 150 days or so. LOL

Yes, Sungold F1 is a fave of many but there are other varieties, orange like that one, that some like almost as much.

Carolyn

• Chris Gilbert
    10 years ago

You know, I had the same issue with Bonnie Plants too. I bought what was supposed to be an "Imporoved Porter Cherry" tomato, and it was anything but a cherry. It wasn't oblonged like it was suppose to be, and whatever it was was the WORST TASTING tomato I have ever had in my life. Even February Romas from the super market don't taste as bad as this tomato did. The plant was horrible, the fruit was horrible.

On the other hand, I purchased "BeefMaster" from Bonnie. WOW. That hybrid is a monster, and the fruits are quite tasty. My only complaint for that one is I would need to devise a new staking method to hold this beast up properly next year, as I have had the staking and fencing holding it up completely collapse on me as the fruits are reaching a pound and over. Close to a hundred tomatoes have grow on it, and it has reached the length of atleast 9 ft.

• nugrdnnut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update: DW and I tried a Cherokee Purple today and it was very good. It seems that a dash of salt really brought out the flavor!

Now waiting or the Black Krim and Beefmaster.

• jerseyjohn
    10 years ago

Sungold has for us been an amazing winner every year, without regard to weather or disease conditions. A must grow that never disappoints. Volume, and daily ripening that goes on for 2 months. AND, everyone we know loves the distinctively great taste. (p.s. children especially).

• fireduck
    10 years ago

Cherokee Purple is a winner....

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Tom - keep in mind that you are comparing the flavor of a cherry sized fruit - intense taste in a compact package - to that of much larger tomatoes. It does make a difference if for no other reason than the water holding capability ratio to size.

Sungold is great - for a cherry. But the larger fruit have their own unique flavor advantages too.

Dave

• getyourleash
    10 years ago

I have both SungGold and SunSugar this year. I thought I preferred the SunGold until I tried the SunSugar!! Incredible plant! Both are prolific and tasty, but SunSugar appears to have larger fruit that has sweetness like candy, despite being a bigger cherry variety. It could be growing conditions, it's hard to say...But, I like my SunSugar slightly better than SunGold.

• joeorganictomatoes
    10 years ago

Haven't tried Sun Golds but I have a Sun Sugar growing in a pot. I'm Zone 6a. To date I have harvested over 100 of these sweet delicious tasting little guys. I'm hooked. I even have created a Sun Sugar coconut pancake recipe.

• nugrdnnut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave,
    Thank you for your reminder. You summed up what I was trying to say in my initial post.

And after harvesting more of the other tomatoes, we have decided that they are all good (with the exception of the pear-shaped "black cherry" tomato), and contribute to a very nice salsa (Annie's Salsa) which the leftover was added to our own fresh salsa recipe.

I can eat salsa and chips and/or brochette as a main meal every day of the week!

Tom

• michelliot
    10 years ago

I agree. They are an exceptional breed. The only issue I have with Sungold is that they're very thin skinned. After every rain, a good percentage of them split. Not so good for presentation, but I'm able to make a tasty golden pasta sauce without having to skin them first. This year I have a half a dozen volunteers and I'm waiting to see how they turn out. Not ripe yet.....elliot

• potterhead2
    10 years ago

I respectfully disagree with the other posters who prefer SunSugar over SunGold. The SunSugars are very prolific, and have a sweet taste when you first bite into them. But they have an aftertaste that I don't quite like.

I still haven't found anything to compare with the amazing taste of SunGold. If only there was a full size tomato with that flavor ... it makes my mouth water to think about it!

• foose4string
    10 years ago

I was able to try Sungold this year for the first time. Obtained seed through trade. I am not a fan of cherries but my daughter is, so I grew it in a topsy turvy as an afterthought. I was very impressed. Great tomato flavor in a small pakage. I still like my slicers better, but it's hard to dislike Sungold.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County