Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_in_sask

Isis Candy cherry tomato...is it round in shape?

donna_in_sask
10 years ago

I grew Isis Candy last year but it was in a pot on the deck and didn't grow as well as this year in the ground. There wasn't anything memorable about the taste, but I like to give tomatoes a few chances because growing conditions change from year to year. The ones I grew last year were round, while this year (from the same batch of purchased seeds) they are more like a grape tomato shape. Does Isis Candy vary like that, or is it something completely different?

Comments (5)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

As you can see from the link this variety has been around since 1992 and I've grown it several times, my initial seeds from Joe Bratka, who bred it.

I've never seen anything other than round cherries and I don't think I've seen anyone else report back grape shaped fruits.

Do the ripe ones have the same coloration as the originals?

In other words, are you dealing with a stray seed in a pack? Or is it just the weather, perhaps.

Do you have just one plant out there, or are there several since if just one plant there's no way to know if it's a stray seed, but you've grown it before so would know if the ripe coloration is correct.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Isis Candy

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

Mine are round bicolors as well. It has really picked up in last couple of weeks on par with Riesentraube.
    Isis was limping along in the beginning and did not look good with all that Septoria till now. I think it might be a keeper for next year though.

• donna_in_sask
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link Carolyn, looks like what I grew last year but I think mine were more on the reddish side.
    I have three plants but only two are growing in a good location with good sun. I will have to see whether the last one gets enough sun to produce anything so I can compare. Also, thanks linda for your reply.

I do have a picture but it got rejected when i tried to post it. Been years since I tried to post a pic from my PB....

• Bets
    10 years ago

Hi Donna,

You can get variations in the amount of red in a bicolor, it seems to depend on the amount of sunlight and lattitude, just like the "blackness" of the "so-called-blacks." Some of the ICCs will be almost amber like Sungold, and others will be nearly red. On some the bi-color will be obvious and on others it is faint.

Do a Google Image search, and you can see what I mean. I'd post the link, but lately GW won't let me link to an image search. :-(

Are these your first fruits that are more grape shaped? Sometimes the first fruits of any tomatoes are not shaped like they are later in the season, although with cherries I find that they are usually pretty uniform unless we had funky weather about the time they were blooming and setting fruit.

As for posting pictures from PB, use the html link, that's what I did for the image below. (You may want to try it in the test forum.)

{{gwi:1375893}}

Betsy

This post was edited by bets on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 15:47

• donna_in_sask
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Betsy for the reply. Here's the photo - got my teenager to help!

{{gwi:1375894}}