Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uglytomatoes

Fast help for blossom end rot

uglytomatoes
12 years ago

Just want to pass this along to anyone dealing with BER because it worked for me. I'm growing six tomato plants and one bell pepper in self-watering containers and I was getting BER with all. I didn't bother with the foliar calcium sprays because everyone seems to say that they don't work. Instead, I got some liquid lime (to make up for the lack of powdered lime that I should have worked into the soil before planting). Aggrand is the brand I used. Raingrow also makes a liquid lime. After a few applications, the new fruits are mostly BER-free. I just followed the directions for container plants (mixing 2-3 tablespoons per gallon of water). I poured most of it at the base of the plants, to drain it through the soil. The rest I poured directly into the reservoirs. At the same time, I did three applications of a water soluble fertilizer high in phosphorus (to promote new blossoms/fruit) once a week for three weeks. This combination has brought on a surge of new fruits forming. I plan to keep using the liquid lime weekly to prevent another bout of BER. The varieties I'm growing are: 2 brandywine reds, 2 german johnsons, 1 early girl, 1 celebrity, and 1 bell pepper.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz