Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
figfarmer_gw

Lousy tasting plum tomatoes

figfarmer
16 years ago

I can still taste the Plum tomatoes that my Italian Godfather grew in Brooklyn New York in the early 1950's. I was only 5 but can still taste the full, rich , incredible taste of those tomatoes. It has taken me 52 years to finally grow my first plum tomatoes and after 3 months of babying the plants, they have been producing buckets full of tomatoes no better tasting than the garbage that you buy at a grocery store. What a disappointment. I think the incredible taste of the old world tomatoes of the past is history.

Comments (11)

• korney19
    16 years ago

What variety did you grow? Roma isn't really known for taste. I've grown many excellent plum & paste varieties.

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

What a disappointment. I think the incredible taste of the old world tomatoes of the past is history.

It's not b'c many immigrants from the Mediterranean area brought seeds for their faves when they came to the US.

As Mark just said above, there are many great tasting plum tomatoes (of all sizes) that are available, many of them with family names still attached to the variety.

So it would be good to know, as Mark also asked, what variety you grew that didn't please you so that folks here, including Mark and myself and I'm sure many others, can suggest to you other varieties to try.

Carolyn, who at an advanced age also notes that what we remembered all those many years ago tends to get lost in our memories as we age so that they often take on legendary status. ( smile) Been there, done that with tomato varieties we used to raise in the 40's. Sigh.

• sunsi
    16 years ago

Try "Opalka" and "Rocky" these two will always be my top favorites and I think you won't be disappointed. Very large and meaty with fantastic flavor that carries to your cooked sauce. Be prepared to see wispy plants so that you don't become alarmed that the plants aren't healthy that's the way they grow.

I had Dr. Carolyn and others suggest "Heidi" and "Martino's Roma" which I plan to add with the above mentioned ones for next years garden. There's also another that I haven't tried but your post reminded me about it it's called "Myona" from an Italian gentleman when asked the name of this tomato said "It's my own" or something like that. But I thought that this one might appeal to you as it might be the lost flavor you are looking for.

Good luck and if you have any good recipes from your beloved Godfather would you share them? :)

• kim47
    16 years ago

Figfarmer,
    I also grew roma tomatoes and found them to be horrible tasting fresh. I did blanch and skin them for the freezer to use in the future for sauce but that will be the last time I grow them.
    A few of you mentioned other types, where do you get them?
    Do you order them by seed and start your own? I need to start thinking of next season. I never see anything out of the ordinary around here and would like to try something diffrent. Did like my other tomatoes though, which were only beefsteak, early girl and big boy.
    Kim

• korney19
    16 years ago

Figfarmer, you there?

See the link below, I posted pics of many of the best paste/sauce/cooking types I've ever grown.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Paste tomato recommendations

• deanriowa
    16 years ago

Most likely you purchased a standard Roma plant. I am growing the same this year and yes they taste exactly like store bought tomatoes, but that is what they are basically.

You need to try out some other types of paste tomatoes, and after some experimenting you might find one that reminds you of your grandfather's tomatoes.

I wish you luck as I am on a similar quest.

Dean

• maupin
    16 years ago

I second the vote for Opalka. Seeds widely available online from many seed companies. Meaty, terrific flavor, great yield.

• digit
    16 years ago

Your message and Carolyn's tagline reminds me of those first beers when they finally tasted GOOD. You are there in the fishing boat, or wherever, and it is really hot, or whatever, the family member has finally been willing to share, or however, and the beer tastes like . . . Well, what did it taste like?!?

Your Italian Godfather brought a lot more to that tomato experience than just a tomato.

Keep on looking and trying, you are creating new experiences for yourself and maybe valuable ones for the young people around you.

Steve

• billtex
    16 years ago

The method of how you fertilize really effects the taste , try fish emulsion for better tasting toms. bill

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Digit,
    Ah, the taste of cold beer in a fishing boat. I am getting nostalgic here. Trouble is, I am a woman so beer drinking in boats just means trips to shore to go water a bush or tree. (kinda envy men sometimes).

• figfarmer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. This was my first year growing 21 tomato plants. I just grabbed the standard Roma's because that is what Ace hardware had in stock and I did not know any better. Being new at growing toms, I just figured all tomatoes grown at home should all taste like the tomatoes I remembered from 50 years ago. I now know better. Regular Roma's are a waste of time. I will try the Opaliks (sp?) next season. Also, the two 6 paks of black cherry toms that I planted (I never heard of BC's before I bought theem at Ace) grew to over 6 feet tall and are producing buckets of fruit. They are very tasty but I find the skins on the tough side. First Picks and Early Girls just so-so, taste wise. Still, for a first year grower, my plants, tasty or not, all did very well in the 15 gallon pots of compost that I grew them in. I'm in northern California and my plants still are loaded with flowers and new toms. Thanks, again, for all replies, suggestions and tips. Figfarmer