Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes for Sauce/Canning?

Posted by gardenmommy_2010 8A, Sac CA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 2:54

What tomatoes do you use to can/make sauce out of? I did two Roma plants for this purpose but have been very disappointed in them so far - most heavily hit by disease & now bad BER. I've heard this is common for paste tomatoes so I'm thinking of skipping them next year. So, what tomatoes do you use to make sauce? I have many other varieties that I've planted that are doing well so if all tomatoes make good sauce/canning then I'll skip paste tomatoes entirely next year. I may even rip out the one that's being attacked by BER. It's every tomato & the plant's on the same watering schedule & in the same location/soil as everyone else so I really don't understand it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes for Sauce/Canning?

Paste toms make the best sauce because they are meaty and have less juice than other toms>
They require less time cooking off the the juice to get a thick tomato paste ,
Usually canning/sauce toms are determinate and most fruit gets ripe at the same time.
And yes paste toms are more suseptible to BER.Just the nature of the beast.
You can use whatever toms you want though. I would think the next choice might be oxhearts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here