Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a name for tomatoes that fall off before ripening?

Posted by Sluginator 10b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 3:23

You know how you go out to pick some tomatoes and there are already some on the ground? Often they are ripe, but sometimes they are not.

You have to pick them up and bring them in or otherwise you are just feeding the slugs. Then your partner asks you why you are picking unripe tomatoes.

I have been calling these tomatoes bycatch, after what fishermen call it when they catch things that they were not fishing for.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a name for tomatoes that fall off before ripening?

Bycatch sounds like a colorful name for that problem that is usually related to heat/dry stress. "Dropped tomatoes" is probably what other tomato aficionados would understand best, but I don't think the name is official ;-).

o

if they drop ripe, we call them "Ploppers", if they drop unripe, we call them "Droppers"!

Who is "We", I haven't the "faintest idea"!!!

Gary

o

Good one, Gary!

o

I picked up 3 unripe so far and put them in a jar with vinegar so I call mine "picklers".

o

Could it be deer? That's my problem. Sometimes they will pick them off the vine without leaving any teeth marks. Check if you have some that are partially eaten.
John A

o

No deer. I am in a city. I have a lot of rugrats running around, though.

These are a roma-sized tomato, called Juliet. They really want to fall of the vine. If I so much as brush past a cluster off tomatoes while reaching for a ripe one, they will fall off the vine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here