Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitbullgrin

Tomato pruning due to fungus

pitbullgrin
10 years ago

I have a fungus growing on the leaves of my tomato plants and read through the forum and decided to prune the branches effected. I didn't cut any branches that have fruit on them ironically they didn't have fungus on them. Anyway i think i may have cut way too much and sacrificed the whole plant. My wife came out and laughed at me. ill post a before and after pic in the morning. But when does pruning become killing?

Comments (8)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Are you against spraying for treatment?
    There are both synthetic and organic anti fungal sprays that can ATLEAST prevent progression.

• pitbullgrin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually went out and got a anti-fungal spray. But all the stuff i was reading about the dreaded gray mold was cut it away ASAP. It had been several days and the leaves were getting pretty covered and several branches just turned yellow. I did spray the unaffected leaves after. This is the before pic. Ill post the after when I get off work in the morning.

• pitbullgrin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually went out and got a anti-fungal spray. But all the stuff i was reading about the dreaded gray mold was cut it away ASAP. It had been several days and the leaves were getting pretty covered and several branches just turned yellow. I did spray the unaffected leaves after. This is the before pic. Ill post the after when I get off work in the morning.

{{!gwi}}

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

If on the leaves and possibly the stems, it could be Gray Mold, but much more commonly the two major fungal foliage pathogens Early Blight and Septoria Leaf Spot.

And Gray Mold, depending on where you garden, I checked and you don't say on your page, can mimic Late Blight, which is the really bad one.

Which antifungal did you spray?

And it would be great if you could take some shots close up of the affected leaves which makes it earier for others to help you with a diagnosis.

How have you ruled out the common bacterial foliage pathogens Bacterial Speck and Spot, against which antifungals have no action.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

• pitbullgrin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really have no idea what the "stuff" growing is. I searched the web and this forum for possible reasons for the grey mold looking stuff on my leaves and most pointed to "grey mold" I am a first time grower and have zero clue as to what I'm doing.
    I when to dees nursery and got some plants and bumper crop mixed it 50/50ish with my dirt. Added some tomato food, organic and watered dailyish.
    This pic is after I butchered my plants. A second pic will show the only plant I didnt butcher because it had a lot of fruit on it. You can see the mold but you also see the dried antifungal I sprayed as well.

• pitbullgrin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After the prune

• drewbym
    10 years ago

I've pruned tomatoes that much before. They'll be fine.

• drewbym
    10 years ago

I've pruned tomatoes that much before. They'll be fine.