Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_passion

Strange roots

green_passion
9 years ago

Good morning from Denmark.

I was looking for a forum to address something about my Black Krim tomato and found this remarkable website. Just I registered and and started posting.

These three tomato stems are messed up they have roots too. I cannot pick only this ripe one because the two stems of the green tomatoes are connected to the red.

It could be a funny question, is it possible to grow a plant from these roots?

Give me some idea how it was happened and what they called it how to prevent it in the future. The plant was too much leaves before I pruned a lot. Other tomatoes are fine.

Thanks

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

The ugly fruit you show is the result of what's called a fused blossom, some call it a megabloom, where there are several blossoms in one cluster. No single blossom.

On the stems you do show what are called root primordia, and if those root primordia were in contact with soil, yes they would grow roots and a new plant.

But usually they are found on the main stem near the bottom.

I used to grow my tomatoes by sprawling,and would always have some branches that did that.

And when seedlings get too tall to plant vertically one can dig a small trench. lay the plant in it leaving just a tuft of growth at the top and along that buried stem new roots would form.

Carolyn

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

I had a similar dilemma with a large fruit from a fused blossom on an Indian Stripe plant. I could not pick that large blushing tomato because it was wrapped around the stem. Since there was another green tomato there, I waited until tet large fruit was ripe, and then I cut into the tomato where it joined the stem, so that the other tomato was not disturbed.

Linda

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

Fused blossom on a Rose tomato.

• green_passion
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn for a good reply. I remember the Fused blossom on the plants but I did not know about it. Still I have some tomatoes (fused blossom) on the plants. They are Brandywine Black the stem are not tangle and they are huge. A couple of them have small cracking lines. The plant have enough water and nutrient but the container are small it is about 3 US gallon. I water at least twice a day. Soon they are going to be ripe.

Linda you are cleaver. I only knew after I cut off the stem. Next time I will do just like you did. The two tomatoes with roots I put them on a small pot, just for experiment.

Daniel you got a very nice tomato.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?