Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yukkuri_kame

Growing Tomatoes as Perennials?

yukkuri_kame
10 years ago

They are naturally, so is anyone doing this?

I have one heirloom tomato of unknown variety that survived last winter, and is fruiting now. Looking forward to growing out the seeds.

I also got seeds of a cherry tomato that supposedly had been producing for 4 years, and have some little seedlings now.

We get occasional frosts here, and definitely cool weather, so I'm hoping to select for frost tolerance and long term productivity.

Comments (7)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Tomatoes as true perennials are only the species ones found in the temperate highlands of Chile And Peru.And that means the cool highlands, not the steamy jungles. (smile)

Our domesticated garden varieties are not the same as those found in South America.

Yes, some do try to overwinter them, especially those in CA, but the new fruits are usually smaller than they should be and yield decreased and if overwintered again,most say that it just isn't worth it.

Yes, I do have many CA tomato friends.

I have a farmer friend who kept one going in a heated greenhouse fo rmany years, here where I live but even that would be an exception.

Also, tomatoes don't adapt very well or easily or at all, when you talk about selecting for frost tolerance, but why not try it nothing to lose as I see it.At another place where I read there are a couple of large projects on cold tolernt varieties, but not frost tolerant.I know of only one variety that's supposedly frost tolerant, but then one has to get into the subject of light frost, vs killing frosts, etc., and how to determine frost tolerance OR cold tolerance. In other words,how to mimic nature.

Most of the nurseries in CA, for instance,particularly S Cal,sell many varieties from Siberia and similar for Fall planting. They are cold tolerant anywhere.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

• nlarr81
    10 years ago

we are moving a suppersteak and a hot pepper inside when the weather turns but here in florida we have a short winter

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Here is a link to one of the previous discussions here about this question. There are many of them that the search will pull up for you.

Dave.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perennial tomatoes

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Okay. To me the question is :
    WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF TRYING TO OVER WINTER AN OLD TIRED PLANT, WHEN YOU CAN EASILY GROW ANOTHER ONE , THAT WILL BE MORE PRODUCTVE ??? !!! maybe just satisfy a curiosity and as a hobby !

I think, MAYBE, overwintering some peppers can serve a meaningful purpose but not tomato.

• yukkuri_kame
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, why bother? that is the question.

My goals would be:

1) earlier & later tomatoes
    2) Laziness: less work saving seed, starting seeds, digging garden, transplanting, etc. Plant once and water occasionally
    3) possibly more productive, because of great root system and photosynthetic area
    4) greater resistance to drought due to deeper roots

Yes, it is a curiosity/novelty thing for a corner of the garden. I am not giving up on my annual toms by any means. But I love my low-maintenance and productive perennials.

My manzano pepper is in the second productive season, and I'll be getting at least twice as many peppers this year than last. It's bigger and healthier than it was last year, not tired at all.

Thanks for the link, Dave!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

In your zone in CA you might be able to pull it off but for most of us it would be impossible except with a greenhouse and have a costly overhead even then.

And the benefits you are hoping for often don't manifest themselves. But experimentation is a good way to learn.

Dave

• yukkuri_kame
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"In your zone in CA you might be able to pull it off but for most of us it would be impossible except with a greenhouse and have a costly overhead even then.
    And the benefits you are hoping for often don't manifest themselves. But experimentation is a good way to learn."

I sure wouldn't waste precious greenhouse space on such an experiment.

As for pulling it off in my climate, the tomato has already survived a winter with zero attention, meaning it survived a few light frosts. Whether it is worth it or not in terms of long-term productivity remains to be seen.

I've taken a few cuttings to plant in more favorable locations in the garden (with irrigation & sun) to see what happens. I'll update next spring.