Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If it's not one worm (horn) it's another (fruit) worm..help!

Posted by enmnm 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 6:43

Getting rid of the hornworms were easy. I picked them off and flicked them into the yard to be eaten by birds. The little fruitworms I found yesterday...not so much. They've already vampired several green tomatoes. I squashed a handful and sprayed the plant with Bonide Fruit & Vegetable 3-in-1 spray, but as the spray needs to make contact with the worm and the worms are teeny tiny and hiding in the bushy plant, I'm not hopeful.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If it's not one worm (horn) it's another (fruit) worm..help!

The smaller cats are hard to see, that's for sure. I spray Bt for most. I understand that it doesn't take out the larger ones very well, but it has helped a lot with small to mediums. I was having a time with climbing cutworms(medium sized, about 1 1/2")on many of my plants and it took care of the ones I couldn't find. It also takes out cabbage loopers which were decimating my tom plants last year. HTH

o

Bt, sold as Dipel dust or Thuricide liquid spray, is the standard common treatment for all forms of caterpillars/worm pests. Lots of information here about it.

Dave

o

Since you are jn my zone I wanted to note that I did find one fruitworm this season, and it was the first time I had ever seen one. I thought those were strictly southern pests! I am starting to see a variety of insects that I have never before encountered. It perplexes me.

o

Bonide's 3-in-1 is supposed to be good for fruitworms, and since I sprayed last week, the count has plummeted, although I did pick 3 or 4 off this morning. I also found, on the underside of a leaf, about a dozen tiny eggs laid out in a diamond shaped pattern.

They went down the garbage disposal.

o

I had fruit worms on the fruit that laid on the ground, on the part that touched the ground. I'll try better cages next year.

I have read that horn worms glow under a blacklight at night. I might buy a cheap handheld blacklight next year and try that trick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here