Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to salvage windblown green tomatoes?

Posted by lucilleclifton Zone 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 6:57

So the other day my Sungold in its giant pot got blown over by a huge gust of wind. Thankfully the plant stayed rooted and no soil came out but I lost a whole quart of green ones on the ground that must have bounced off in the impact. Also, my Brandywine vine got blown sideways and I lost three green Brandywines in that incident. Don't worry, I have guylined like crazy now so this shouldn't be happening again, but in the meantime.....

Are there any recipes that you guys have tried that are good with REALLY green tomatoes? Or with green cherry tomatoes?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to salvage windblown green tomatoes?

Googled Green tom recipes

just that easy

Here is a link that might be useful: Green tom recipes

o

Lucille - recipes aside are you familiar with the old wrap in news paper and put in a box method of ripening them? Wrap individually, lay in a single layer in a shallow box and place it some place cool and dry. Check every few days and use as they ripen. Not the ideal full flavor but better than pitching them.

Recipes - check out the Harvest forum here. Lots of green tomato recipes there for both pickles and relishes.

Dave

o

I slice them, salt them, then dip them in buttermilk then dredge them in a mixture of flour and corn meal (1:1). Then fry them on medium high in peanut oil. Drain on paper towels.

Then I mix up a dipping sauce of equal parts mayo, cream cheese and sour cream then add parmesan cheese to taste. If you like it creamier, add more mayo. If you like it creamier and tangier, add more sour cream. If you like the consistency but want it tangier, add more cream cheese.

o
More

If you like spicy food, you can add cayenne pepper or chopped jalapenos to the dipping sauce.

o

Thanks for all the ideas! I ended up wanting to try something new (have tried fried green tomatoes and am just meh on them). So I made this recipe for green tomato pie, and it tastes just like an apple pie!

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Tomato pie recipe

o

the dipping sauce makes all the difference with fried green tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here