Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Late Blight lesions on stems?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

I have a Cosmonaut Volkov and a Cherokee Purple that look like the "giraffe" blotches on the stems from late blight, but when I scraped the spot on the CP lightly with my fingernail a week or so ago the discoloration came off, and the plant's still alive, though the CPs and BKs were looking wilted for quite a while (we did have a dry spell in July) and now have dry dead leaves. Practically all my OPs have yellow leaves and petioles, spotted leaves, dry dead leaves, I've been trying to pick all affected foliage off and get what fruit is set to blush before I pull the plants since everything is so late this year.

I know I have early blight and septoria out in the field (house garden - or the Burpee hybrid beefsteaks - have not been affected). But now the same lesions on 1 CV and did not easily scrape off. The CV are almost done, fruit not affected and I've been picking for a week, they are practically defoliated from my efforts to keep up with the Septoria though. I'm going to pull them soon.

But wondering if LB lesions scrape off easily or no, I'll pull every blotchy plant now, even if it has green fruit, rather than risk the Grandma Mary's and Rose de Berne that are doing so nicely (Rose is loaded, big clusters of BIG fruit but no blushing yet).

Rain predicted for the weekend through Tuesday, so this is only going to get worse - have to do it now. Today's plan was to pull the cukes that have succumbed to downy mildew.

TIA

Comments (3)