Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
banbarr

Tomato cross-pollination or reversion?

Banbarr
9 years ago

This volunteer tomato grew in my garden close to an area where I had previously grown Sungold, Gold Medal, Chocolate Cherry, Black from Tula, Japanese Black Trifele and Riesentraube tomatoes. I'm guessing it is either a rare cross between two of those or, perhaps, a reversion of the Sungolds? I guess it could have been planted by a bird from some distant neighbor. I would like any input you might have. The skin is almost translucent, pineapple-y yellow. They are shaped like miniature Gold Medals.

Comments (3)

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Banbarr, I'll get back to your above post about my view of what might have happened when I have time, which is not now. If others have ideas I'm sure they will post as well.

Carolyn

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Another lucky Cross.

BTW, have you some kind of disease problem with that plant ?

sey

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

I have to cut and paste so I have a reference point and don't have to go back up to your original post.

&&&&&

(This volunteer tomato grew in my garden close to an area where I had previously grown Sungold, Gold Medal, Chocolate Cherry, Black from Tula, Japanese Black Trifele and Riesentraube tomatoes. I'm guessing it is either a rare cross between two of those or, perhaps, a reversion of the Sungolds? I guess it could have been planted by a bird from some distant neighbor. I would like any input you might have. The skin is almost translucent, pineapple-y yellow. They are shaped like miniature Gold Medals.)

If it were a natural cross between any of the dark colored ones or Riesentraube, the F1 could not have been light coloroed since the dark ones and Riesentraube ( red ) have colors genetically dominant to light colors.

Anyone I know who has had volunteers from Sungold F1 or from saved F2 seeds of the hybrid have gotten orange or red cherries. Red b/c the gene(s) for the flat truss trait are red. So I don't think a reversion of Sungold, which has many parental inputs, not just two parents.

Other than a low flying bird, that leaves Gold Medal and Sungold as a possible cross.

Small fruit size is dominant to large fruit size.

I'm judging the fruit size of what you have by looking at your finger, and fruit size is much smaller than what one would suspect for Gold Medal, yet larger than anything Sungold sized.

The fruits you show have no coloration consistent with the gold/red bicolor of Gold Medal/

And since small fruit is dominant to large fruiit, it could have been a natural cross between Sungold F1 and Gold Medal. I don't know the genetics of such bicolors like Gold Medal, so I'll suggest that it might be possible that the genes for the coloration of Gold Medal were not brought forward.

One way to tell is to save seeds of what you show, put out as many plants as you can next season and see what you get.

Other than that there's always the low flying bird theory, as you know. LOL

Carolyn

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area