Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sources of calcium for tomatoes

Posted by chuckr30 z5, GR-MI (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 08 at 8:39

Tomatoes like acidic soil, and mine need some calcium (some green romas have black end rot). What are some safe sources of calcium I can use on them? Is calcium chloride for melting ice ok?

What about bentonite? I hear it also has calcium.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sources of calcium for tomatoes

Tomatoes like acidic soil, and mine need some calcium (some green romas have black end rot). What are some safe sources of calcium I can use on them? Is calcium chloride for melting ice ok?
What about bentonite? I hear it also has calcium.

Chuck, tomatoes grow well at pH values from about 4.5 to 6.5 and I'm pretty sure being in MI that your soil pH is within that range.

The connection with BER is that if soils are VERY acidic the Ca++ in the soil can be bound up but that's easy to reverse by raising the soil pH.

Strictly speaking BER is not due to lack of Ca++, it's due to maldistribution of Ca++ within the plant that's induced by a variety of stresses, uneven water delivery and too much N or growing in too rich soils are maybe the two most common stresses but there are others.

Paste tomatoes, such as your roma's, are the group of tomatoes most susceptible to BER.

if you go to the top of this page and click on the FAQ link there's an srticle on BER. And if you have other questions please do post them here in your own thread.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here