Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pacman311

Beefsteak Tomatos

Pacman311
9 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm having some issues with my beefsteak tomato's and was hoping I could get some advice from someone who lives in my general area or anyone for that matter with growing tomato's in my condition.

I have 4 really nice looking beefsteak tomato plants, they are lush and tall but the blooms keep falling off with I assume is attributed to heat index in the upper 100's this summer.

I live on the gulf coast about 25 miles east of Houston and I was wondering if maybe in early fall if these Beefsteaks will produce? I just planted 5 super 100 plants a couple weeks ago for this fall so I'm hoping since I did not get a single tomato this summer, they will all produce heavy this Fall. Any chance of that?

Comments (3)

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Yes, they will probably start to produce reasonably by around September 20.

Galveston/Texas City is the warmest area there, summer nights and the beefsteaks start to set around 76 F, but typically need around 72 F.

You and I have the same first frost date, but my August night temperatures have been about 3 degrees cooler than yours, and that is enough to set my beefsteak blooms here and there. . I also have some plants going and get most of the blooms falling off. For Galveston, you should start getting fruit set around September 20, although you may get a few before that. If you don't get any freezing nights, you may get production all winter.

Thigs you can do:
    Get a more heat tolerant variety. Phoenix was developed for areas like yours, but I don't like it, and I am trialing Thessaloniki now. Neither are beefsteak sizes, but at least they aren't cherries.

Give them morning, but not mid-afternoon direct sun.

Be sure they get sufficient water but not too much. The plant has a very high demand for water in summer as it transpires to keep cool (sweats).

Hand pollinate them around 10-noon since high humidity can make it difficult.

Do your cherries over the summer instead and transplant your beefsteaks in August (the reverse of what you did). Cherries can set tomatoes in more heat. But the cherry tomatoes ought to be well timed to give you some good production this fall.

Happy Growing

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 10:33

• Pacman311
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the speedy reply, I'm really glad to hear they won't need to be replaced with a different variety. I was really dreading having to dig them up after I put so much time and effort into growing them lol.

I usually try to plant seeds instead of transplants, and the Home Depot nor Lowes seem to carry very many varieties of tomato's. Maybe you or someone else here can suggest a good place online to order some of the harder to find varieties that I may not be able to find here?

Again, I really appreciate your help, I'm really starting to fall in love with this site and all the good info it has!

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Hi Pacman,
    I would recommend this generous thread, take a look at it and just mention your gardening interests.

Adopt-A-Newbie

I've bought a few seeds from tomato community people that are self-proprietors and not the big ones. This is because I love the excuse and kind words I exchange with them with a personal touch, and I understand the difficulties involved with trying to do the hobby you love and they get a token bit of money back, but mainly do as a labor of love. It helps everyone because then they have good reason to keep their seeds pure and the enthusiasm up, just like you and me.

What happens is you can think they are great but if you endorse them, think of all the others that could use an extra $5 since diversity is key, we've got to keep them going.

There are lists and databases of larger seed suppliers, but they don't include everyone equitably IMO, so it is best if any commercial endorsements are kept offline IMO. That said, if you are interested in a particular variety LOL just ask people for input on how it grew, donâÂÂt be shy about posting here, it is a great resource with great people who really help. Then if you like it, ask them where they got it and see what happens.

You should start your seeds inside about 5-6 weeks before transplant date (well, IâÂÂm no expert but thatâÂÂs what I do in this climate). I got a packet of Cherokee Purple for $1.79 from Home Depot the other day under the Ferry Morse label. The seeds did fine, but unless that variety has a particularly weak seedling, IâÂÂm at day 12 now and it is about 3 days behind. That is perfectly fine and will make good plants regardless of whether it is super fresh or not, but my point is the other heirlooms I got from small guys and so far I am just so feeling great about them.

JMO
    PC

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus