Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lubadub

Big Tomato

lubadub
12 years ago

For those of you who have an interest in large tomatoes, here is a picture of a tomato I grew this year. This tomato is from my own personal seed line and as such I have chosen to name it MegaMarv. And yes, I think it tastes a little bit better maybe than Big Zac though Big Zac as we all know is delicious. Right Carolyn?

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/lubadub/?action=view&current=003.jpg

Marv

Comments (11)

• lubadub
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PhotoBucket seems to have a problem or maybe I do?

• heirloomjunkie
    12 years ago

Holy crap! That's huge! What kind of support system do you have for the plant?

Kim

• jannie
    12 years ago

Wow! In Long Island NY we have a contest for the heavist tomato. Yours might be a winner.

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

Marv, I would be embarrased to post a picture of a cat faced fruit from a fused blossom. I don't use the newer word megabloom, I use what it was know as before the name was changed by you know who. LOL

Embarrassed I suppose b'c as you said, I'm not into the BIG TOMATO group of folks as you are.

Why not take a new small scalpel and delicately open some of the cat faced scars and drop in a few drops of mercury from a thermometer you'll bust and that should shoot up the weight even more. ( wink)

Carolyn

• lubadub
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carolyn:

We live in 2 different worlds. We have different interests. You said my book was no good without ever having read it and that Big Zac tomatoes taste bad without ever having tasted one. You do your thing and I'll do mine. I have learned a lot from your posts and value you. You add a lot to this site and the other one too. Can we just get along? (wink) (smile) Marv

• colokid
    12 years ago

To be brutally honest, I think that is the ugliest tomato I have ever seen. Should win the ugly contest.
    While I am at it and probably make many mad at me; I think mega bloom or freak monsters should not be allowed in big tomato contests. Only a true single. Maybe a separate category for the freaks. If this is all ready true, then I apologize.

• yumtomatoes
    12 years ago

It looks so funky that I would be afraid to taste it.

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

Marv, I have never said your book was no good, how could I when it's true I never read it.

Veracity is one of my virtues as I see it.

And it's also true that I never tasted Minnie's Big Zac F1.Did you know Bob Ambrose in NJ who published that tomato newsletter in the 90's? Almost every issue he had pictures of Minnie and the fruits she grew to win the many contests that she did. But his Tomato Newsletter folded just as Craig's and mine Off the Vine did, but it was great fun while it lasted.

And it's also true that I thought we were getting along together when you even brought my name into your first post.

DId it bother you when I suggested adding some mercury to that fruit? I would hope not b'c all I was doing was joshing you but perhaps you did b'c you take this issue of growing huge tomatoes more seriouosly than I do, actually much more seriously.

Ah well you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time and I forgot who said that b/c it's not original from me.( smile)

Carolyn, now back to watching some TV tennis

• lubadub
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have felt for awhile that this forum was not the place for giant tomato growers to post because of a certain lack of respect for individuals interested in that enterprise routinely shown here. Should posting a picture of a big tomato generate such negative comments? Is there no room at the inn for giant tomato growers? Does it even matter? I guess not. Besides, who cares?

Marv, now back to my patch and my wonderful big tasty tomatoes. Might I ever get through the 6 pound mark? (sigh)

• gregstep
    12 years ago

Lubadub, thats a mighty big tomato. Its hard to grow big ones sometimes. I love looking at big tomato pictures on here, and other small ones also. ANY tomato on the vine taste good when u don't have one. Sure beat the ones out of stores. O yea by the way Miss Male,,,,,,If you dont like Big tomatoes,,,dont click on it. You hurt some people feelings on here. But anyways u have a good day,,,,,,greg

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

Greg, I clicked on the title Big Tomato to see what it was all about.

When I saw that Marv had mentioned my name in his first post I answered. And I answered playfully if you will since Marv and I have known each other for many years and he knows very well that I prefer to grow tomatoes for taste, not size.

Carolyn