Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wcthomas_gw

Which beefsteaks are heavy, meaty, & dense?

wcthomas
15 years ago

I'm looking for a beefsteak that is relatively smooth for slicing, and nice & meaty, juicy, heavy, solid, & dense. I don't need a giant, just meaty and tasty with good acid/sugar balance. These are for eating raw with fresh mozzarella, EV olive oil, & fresh basil and oregano (droooool). Some seem to have larger cavities with firm flesh while others are more uniformly dense and meaty - it's the later I seek. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

TomNJ

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Big Beef and Brandy Boy. Rutgers too tho not as large.

Dave

• containerted
    15 years ago

I would add in Supersteak, Giant Tree, and Big Rainbow. The creamy pale yellow meat with reddish-pink stripes of the Big Rainbow make a great presentation.

• tomatogreenthumb
    15 years ago

Persimmon and Carbon are two OP's that come to mind. Both are in the one pound range and tasty. Also show decent resistance to early blight and BER in my garden this year, which is a definite plus.

Try Big Zac or Ultimate Giant for larger ones. Ultimate Giant does not have the huge core that many large ones do.

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

A few suggestions:

Reds

Chapman
    Red Penna
    Wes ( blunt heart)
    Rostova, aka Sunset Red Horizon, but seed problems right now
    Milka's Red Bulgarian
    Cuostralee
    OTV Brandywine
    Zogola
    German Red Strawberry ( heart)

Pinks

Tidwell German
    Omar's Lebanese
    Large Pink Bulgarian
    Nicky Crain ( heart)
    Stump of the World
    Prudens Purple
    Aunt Ginny's Purple ( pink)

I don't think that most gold/red bicolors are meaty enough and the flesh is soft.

I don't think that most so called blacks that I've grown are all that meaty either.

Yellow to Gold/Orange

Dr. Wyche
    Yellow Brandywine
    Lillian's Yellow Heirloom ( stays yellow at maturity while most with yellow as part of the name turn to gold
    Yellow Brandywine
    Kellogg's Breakfast ( orange)

Carolyn, who did not put them in the order she would prefer herself; the varities just went out of my head to my fingers. LOL

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

I forgot the reds Neves Azorean Red and Aker's West Virginia and Russian #117 and I forgot the pinks Brandywine ( Sudduth), Dr. Lyle and Dr. Neal and Polish C.

Carolyn

• one_eyed_pony
    15 years ago

Here are 4 suggested, very meaty n tasty tomatoes:

Beefmaster - 2lb Meaty Monsters
    Caspian Pink - see pic
    Brandy Sudduth - I'm getting 1-2lb high yield, see pic
    Ramapo - (New - Rutgers University) excellent, though thick skinned see pic
    http://www.njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/JerseyTomato.html

http://www.njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/documents/WhatsinSeason8-4-08_001.pdf

• lynnt
    15 years ago

You want the same thing I want in a tomato -- dense flavorful slices that fill a sandwich. From the midAtlantic Group's tomato tasting this past weekend, I would recommend:

Emily
    Chapman
    Brandywine
    Earl's Faux
    Ramapo

My Olenas are not yet ripe, but they are already huge, and the few I have sliced up and cooked as green-tomato sandwiches were certainly meaty.

Lynn

• buck1173
    15 years ago

I am adoring earls faux in NJ.

• douglas14
    15 years ago

Mariann's Peace....Good flavor balance, meaty, juice, and heavy in the hand.
    Aunt Gertie's Gold...for golden fruit. I find it more on the acid-tasting side, with high flavor.

• face
    15 years ago

The best IMO, that meets all you ask is....

Boy Oh Boy from the Hart Seed Co. For the life of me, I can't find anyone else who grows them. This is my second year growing them and they will always be in my garden. The others next year won't. (except BrandyBoy maybe)

Today I picked one that's close to 2 pounds.

I also have Beefmaster, (too seedy and less flavor)
    BrandyBoy (I like)
    Mortgage Lifter
    Delicious

These are my big ones this year. Boy Oh Boy out shines all of them. Deep red, uniform color, excellent flavor, no cracking and teeny tiny seeds with no goop. Solid from top to bottom. No core.

The down side is that they are the very last ones to ripen of all my toms including the smaller ones.

• wcthomas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yummy! Thanks for all the suggestions!

TomNJ

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area