Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Does anyone grow Slavic Master?

ryseryse_2004
10 years ago

Of the 12 varieties I planted this year, Slavic Master is the only plant that is very lush and not wilting. It is full of large fruit, but nothing has started turning yet.

With all the rain and strange temps, I was pretty sure I wouldn't have a tomato crop again this year. The plants wilt with even a little sun and then perk up overnight but there is no new fruit forming on those that wilt.

I'm hoping the taste and texture of SM will be great --- anyone have this one?

Comments (8)

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

mmm, not familiar with this name but is it http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Slavic_Masterpiece?

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CORRECTION: The name is Slave Master.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

I can find many references to the variety Slavic Masterpiece, but none at all to a variety called Slavic Master or to your correction now calling it Slave Master as you just noted.

Would you please share with us where you found a variety called Slave Master?

Thanks,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Slavic Masterpiece

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SO SORRY! Definitely one of my 'senior moments'. It is, in fact Slavic Masterpiece. I guess I had just abbreviated it on the label and forgot the real name. Since I ordered them from Sample Seeds, I found out my mistake.

So now --- Does anyone grow Slavic Masterpiece???? LOL

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SO SORRY! Definitely one of my 'senior moments'. It is, in fact Slavic Masterpiece. I guess I had just abbreviated it on the label and forgot the real name. Since I ordered them from Sample Seeds, I found out my mistake.

So now --- Does anyone grow Slavic Masterpiece???? LOL

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

On my list for next year, actually have seeds. Yeah, from it being russian variety I would expect it to like cooler weather, Tatiana lists it as midseason. Would like to know how you will find the taste!

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

The former USSR is a very large area, Russia now is just one of the manystates in theCIS ( Common Wealth of Independent States)

Tania says it's a commercial variety,so it isn't an heirloom variety growning in a particular place.

The streets of Yalta are lined with PalmTrees, while the long summer days in Siberia allow for growing many varieties that do well everywhere,not just in cool areas.

All to say,I wouldn't assume that varieties from the former USSR, or even from the state of Russia, are cool weather varieties. ( smile)

Carolyn

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

yep, familiar with above, am transplant too LOL
    Someone in similar by weather area to Chicago, i.e. Ukraine, Ivano Frankivsk, reports that it is quite popular and well loved tomato midseason 110-120 days from seed start, indet. Other sites list it as OP.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area