Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greginnd

BER from too much nitrogen?

greginnd
11 years ago

Hi Tomato Gurus,

I have a new garden this year in an old horse corral. It is extremely rich soil that has never been tilled before this year. Soil tests show that the nitrogen is off the charts. Most everything is growing like crazy. The tomatoes are just now starting to form and a few have started ripening. They have BER like crazy. I've been very consistent with watering so I don't think that is an issue. It has been hot for us but not overly scorching like some of you out there. I have read that high nitrogen can cause BER and I suspect that is the main reason for the problem I'm seeing.

At this point, is there anything I can do to help out or should I just let them grow and see what happens? I see some of the larger green tomatoes are not showing as much or no BER. I'm thinking it may start producing better as the season goes along.

I should also note that part of this garden was contaminated with picloram. Those tomatoes most affected did not survive. I suspect some very low levels of it in some of the other areas. Does anyone know if this affects calcium absorption and/or result in BER?

I am seeing BER on plants that show absolutely no signs of leaf curling from the herbicide.

Comments (4)