Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BER from too much nitrogen?

Posted by greginnd Z4 ND (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 10:03

Hi Tomato Gurus,

I have a new garden this year in an old horse corral. It is extremely rich soil that has never been tilled before this year. Soil tests show that the nitrogen is off the charts. Most everything is growing like crazy. The tomatoes are just now starting to form and a few have started ripening. They have BER like crazy. I've been very consistent with watering so I don't think that is an issue. It has been hot for us but not overly scorching like some of you out there. I have read that high nitrogen can cause BER and I suspect that is the main reason for the problem I'm seeing.

At this point, is there anything I can do to help out or should I just let them grow and see what happens? I see some of the larger green tomatoes are not showing as much or no BER. I'm thinking it may start producing better as the season goes along.

I should also note that part of this garden was contaminated with picloram. Those tomatoes most affected did not survive. I suspect some very low levels of it in some of the other areas. Does anyone know if this affects calcium absorption and/or result in BER?

I am seeing BER on plants that show absolutely no signs of leaf curling from the herbicide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BER from too much nitrogen?

I can't answer the question about picloran, but can tell you that growing tomatoes in too rich soil and/or using too much N fertilizer definitely can increase the chances of BER fruits.

It's one of the many stresses, it causes the plants to grow too fast, that can induce BER.

THe good new is that the more mature the plants are they can withstand the many stresses that can lead to BER, but I think you'd better address the issues of growing in too rich soil, as that isn't going to go away, as well as maybe doing some Googling to find out about picloran. I know that many herbicides can affect plants directly by what's called drift, via air, but I don't know about any herbicides that are already in the soil in terms of what effects they might have.

Carolyn

o

Thanks. I will continue to watch the plants as more fruit sets and develops. Hard to find information directly relating picloram to BER but there may be a connection.

o

Some manures and other organic matter are contaminated with clopyralid, picloram or aminopyralid.

Here's info about clopyralid contamination which persists for a year
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt/clopyralid.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: contaminated manures, etc (WSU)

o

Jean, I did know that about the contamination, but didn't read all the links at the site you just put up, just a few, but saw no association with BER on tomatoes.

Or did I miss somthing, which is quite possible?

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here