Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

What is the problem with this tomato?

Sorry the photo is a little blurry. I think it is a 'Champion' tomato. Never seen this kind of problem with a tomato. The inside looked perfectly fine.

Comments (9)

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Just ONE fruit, or many on one plant of a single variety?

Just one variety or all of your varieties?

Yes, I do have something in mind but would first appreciate answers to my two questions above.

Thanks,

Carolyn

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, I have about four Champion tomato plants, they all still have healthy green tomatoes on them, and very few have ripened yet. This was one that was ripe at the bottom of one plant. I have only one tomato plant that I'm picking ripe tomatoes from, which is in the front of the house vs the back where this tomato was picked from. The one in the front is a Fourth of July tomato that has maybe 1/3 of the fruit has ripened and been picked and they look healthy and fine. It's growing in full sun in the ground vs. the Champion that is in about 6-7hrs of sun in a raised bed that was only constructed this spring. The soil was purchased, organic soil that was sifted to remove weeds and grass and was amended with organic amendments like bloodmeal, worm castings, etc. It is more clay than I'm used to growing in. Noticeable difference in how everything is growing in this soil vs the soil from my old vegetable beds, where everything seems to be growing, larger and healthier looking and is fruiting a lot more.

I have other tomato plants in the same bed as the 'Champion'. 'Church' new to me, slow to produce fruit and some yellowing foliage, none ripe yet. 'Sungold' which I've picked a handful of ripe very healthy normal tomatoes from, 'San Marzano' new to me, has only had one ripe tomato at the bottom and it appeared to have BER, a first for me in my garden. And a Moscovich which has had no ripe fruit yet.

More info than you wanted I'm sure. [g]

edit: Here's a photo of what the tomato looked like when cut intoâ¦.

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 13:41

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

If it's only one fruit from one plant I would not be concerned about it right now., one fruit wouldn't meet the condition I had in mind.

But if any more fruits like that one please let us know.

I'm next to you in upstate NYand we've had lots of rain recently, and the condition I was thinking of is related to rain.

One other ossibility is that b'c this one fruit was near the soilmix in the raised bed,not setting on it, is that b'c of the rain there could be mold growth on top of your new mix, which looks very rich to me and perfect for mold growth that could have splashed back up to that fruit, or indeed to some of the lower foliage.

Do you see any evidence of mold growth?

Carolyn

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Carolyn, I went out and took a few more photos of the plants and the soil around them. This is the base of the Champion Plant that I took the ugly tomato from. You can see another tomato getting ripe and looking okay.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is the full plant, head to toe, not looking very vigorous but healthyâ¦.

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 14:38

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is the soil around the plant, mulched with pine bark fines.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the base of a second 'Champion' tomato plant at the opposite end of the bed with two tomatoes, one having some small markings on it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are fruits on the Sungoldâ¦.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And the San Marzano, still green as can be...

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH