Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecucumbers

Pot of fresh puree, how to make tomato soup?

Not asking for a recipe--inquiring about proportions of main ingredients.

I put lots of maters through a mill, thinking I'd make soup. But all recipes for fresh tomato soup call for X pounds of tomatoes, not X cups of puree. Now I don't know how to determine the correct proportions of puree, stock, etc.

I wanted to make one batch of soup, then can the rest of the puree, so we can have fresh mater soup this winter. (You can't can the soup itself--it's not safe.)

If anyone has any ideas, or finds a recipe that calls for X cups of fresh puree, please let me know. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

Why exactly do you believe you cannot can tomato soup? It is one of the regular things I can, allowing me to grab a jar to have for lunch at work, or open to have with some grilled cheese sandwiches. It is canned just like any other vegetable soup, in a pressure canner, the recipe I use calls for 25 minutes (quarts) at 10 lbs pressure. I actually prepare the soup almost entirely in my crock pot, first putting in the tomatoes, onions, and any other vegetables I want in the soup. When everything is soft enough, I put all of it through a sieve, removing the skins, seeds, etc., then I return it to the crock pot turned to high. This is when I add seasonings, herbs, salt, or whatever else the soup needs, depending on what I want a particular batch to be like. When the soup is bubbling, and I have jars and lids washed and prepared, I fill them and put them in my smaller Mirro canner, which holds just 4 quarts. When tomatoes are really coming like crazy, I'll fill the crock pot in the morning before work, cook on low during the day, then sieve and can in the evening. I like doing the small batches, because one day I may season with basil, the next with dill, the next with savory, another day with lemony herbs, etc. I like making the tomato soup, because it gives me something to do with tomatoes that are not always perfectly formed - it is hard to peel and process damaged tomatoes when trying to can whole tomatoes. For soup, I just cut out stems and damaged parts. When serving, I like a creamy soup, so I'll add a gollop of sour cream or yogurt, or a swig of half-and-half. Really good stuff. If you just stick with a vegetable soup canning recipe, it will give you the criteria for safely canning. This can't be done in a boiling water bath like when canning just the high acid tomatoes.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

This really is a Harvest Forum question, often discussed there in detail, or a post for the Cooking forums.

And you are right you cannot safely can any tomato soup IF it contains any dairy products as most tomato soup recipes do. The guidelines call for canning seasoned tomato sauce and adding the dairy products after opening the jars.

"Tomato soup" means lots of different things to different people.:)

So you are looking for a recipe for making fresh tomato soup, not canned. There are no set "proportions". You simply thin your tomato sauce (puree) with the liquid of your choice - milk, cream, broth, water, whatever - to the consistency of your choice and then adding seasonings of your choice.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make tomato soup from tomato sauce

• Jennie Sims
    9 years ago

I use my tomatoes that are skinned, cored, quartered and then cooked for about five minutes before freezing in my tomato soup recipe. I think this would be basically the same as purée? Except yours wouldn't have seeds as you ran them through a food mill. My recipe calls for 3 1/2 cups of the "purée", 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup skim milk. And of course onion, garlic, basil, etc. I add the milk after cooking and running it through the blender, so you could omit the milk if you want to can it.

Jennie

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

As I said above, I also like dairy in my tomato soup, but I do not add the dairy until I am preparing it to eat. What's canned is all vegetables and herbs! Everything I put in it can be canned, so long as a pressure cooker is used. And this really is a Harvest forum topic!

• ilovecucumbers Zone 6b, NE PA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My apologies for not posting this in the Harvest section. I actually looked under "cooking" and "recipes." Still finding my way around here.

The soup turned out great. Made a test batch with two cups puree, 1 cup chicken stock, and 1/4 cup cream, among other ingredients. Then canned the puree (added lemon juice). Mmm...fresh tomato soup this winter.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County