Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green core inside

Posted by quitman6 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 10:38

I'm growing Cherokee Purple for the first time and in almost all I've harvested, the tomatoes are filled with the green core like material scattered throughout the fruit. By by the time you cut around all that, very little meet of the tomataoe is left. I'm growing these plants in the ground. Like most, our summer heat hit a brutal stretch for several weeks and keeping consistent moisture was a challenge, but I didn't see this issue in other varieties,(mainly hybrids), like I did with the CP's.

Any thoughts?

Jimmy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green core inside

Jimmy, below I linked to a Google Search about why tomato cores appear. Sometimes it's a trait of a particular variety, but most of the time it's due to weather and stresses as you'll see when you read those first links in the Google search.

Hybrid or OP it makes no difference as to the factors that can induce hard cores, so I'm not sure why only your CP is showing them.

I've grown Cherokee Purple many times and was one of the first to receive seeds since they were sent to me by Craig LeHoullier in Raleigh and he received the seeds from John Green in TN and it was Craig, whom I've know for about 23 years now, who named it.

I hope the Google links will give you a better idea of what can cause cores to form, but I will say that I've never seen cores with CP nor Indian Stripe, a version of CP, since about 1992 for CP and maybe about 2003 for IS.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Search; hard tomato cores

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here