Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homegardenpa

Kellogg's Breakfast vs. KBX

homegardenpa
11 years ago

I had been wanting to try out Kellogg's Breakfast for a while, but I had a long list of other trial tomatoes that were ahead of it. I'd been looking for a reliable yellow (or orange) tomato to grow and all of the previous trials had been flops. I had tried yellows, yellow bi-colors, and none of them produced or tasted worth the planting space.

This year, after reading numerous recommendations, I decided to give Kellogg's a try. So far, it's given a good yield and the tomatoes are as tasty as they are meaty - they're a great size to boot.

Long story short (I know, too late), while Kellogg's Breakfast has been a great tomato, I've heard that KBX is even better in terms of production and general vigor - and now that I know it's good I'd like to see if I can get a little better yield of them.

I did some searches, but I can't seem to find much in the way of personal experiences of people who've grown both. I still have seed of Kellogg's Breakfast, so I'll plant those again next year, but I've been considering planting it side-by-side with KBX for comparison.

Does anyone here have experience with growing both? Do you still grow both or have you settled on one?

Comments (15)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Yes, I've grown both and was one of the first persons to grow KBX since it appeared in Martha H's garden way back when both of us were posting at the same place.

You can find the history at Tania's tomato data base.

It's one of the varieties where it seems pretty clear to me that a ***single*** spontaneous mutation caused a change in the leaf form from RL to PL.Probably most PL versions of RL's have arisen with more than one gene mutation, meaning more than one gene involved so that you can't easily say that the RL and PL versions of the same variety are exactly the same.

And I put forward the three following varieties as an example of that:

Cherokee Purple is the original, then there's Cherokee Purple Potato Leaf and Spudokee.

I like Indian Stripe very much and was sent seeds for a PL version of that and I couldn't tell the difference between the two except for leaf form/

But for me KB and KBX have been the same with regard to all traits except leaf form.

For me PL varieties seem to have a greater degree of tolerance to the common foliage diseases, so I prefer KBX for that reason only.

I grew Amana Orange as my fave large orange for quite a while until KB appeared and while I do like it my favorite orange is now Orange Minsk which I really love.

I think I answered all your questions based on my experience but if I didn't please remind me as to what I didn't answer. ( smile)

Carolyn

• homegardenpa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply Carolyn.

I have mixed results with PL plants, in general (don't know why exactly) RL plants seem to do better for me; It could be purely luck, but it just seems that way. That said, I still want to give KBX a try, it can't hurt as far as I'm concerned.

I'll also look into adding orange minsk to my trials list.

To be honest, KB is the first non-pink/red OP type that I've really had that excelled in my garden, so I'm just glad I was able to bring a little more color to the table.

• tania_in_vancouver
    11 years ago

Kellogg's Breakfast is consistently more productive in my garden than KBX.

• bigdaddyj
    11 years ago

Exactly same experience as Carolyn. Grown each several years. Now I only grow KBX for it's PL. But both are identical save the leaf type.

• homegardenpa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, being as I've had good luck with the RL version and I don't seem to be hearing any real differences - maybe I'll hold off buying the KBX seed.

It's funny that every place that sells KBX always touts its vigor and productivity; I guess that type of marketing shouldn't surprise me anymore.

• John A
    11 years ago

This is the first year I've grown both KB & KBX. Both plants are hearty with no disease so far. Both have large, good tasting fruit. If I was to choose the best yellow tomato today, however, it would be Aunt Gertie's Gold.
    John A

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

John, you went from KB and KBX to saying that the best yellow you know is Aunt Gertie's Gold.

Just sayin' that KB and KBX are orange, not yellow, and AGG IS gold, not yellow. LOL

And I love AGG as well and another newer one called Maiden's Gold which is a family heirloom of T. Maiden.

Carolyn

• John A
    11 years ago

I stand corrected, Carolyn. In any case, they're all good.
    John A

• roper2008
    11 years ago

I planted both of them in 2009. The KBX looked stronger and grew
    faster in the beginning. Kellogg's Breakfast caught up with it and
    they seemed the same to me.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

B.U.M.P.

The thread had been started and ended in 2012, with few posts. I guess not many people were growin KB and/or KBX. Finally, there was no consensus on which s superior.

Because I am planning to grow a productive compact Orange/Yellow fruited tomato I brought this thread up to see if there are current grower of those varieties.

--- What is its growth habit ? det, bush ? size
    --- Heirloom/OP, Hybrid ?
    --- any climate preference to grow better ?
    --- any difference in fruits size/color/taste in KB and KBX?

I know I might be able to search the net and find answers, but I prefer a live interactive discussion. That is what I like about forums. .

AND because I can only afford to grow just ONE of then, which one should be KB or KBX ?. Then of course, I can always toss a coin.:-)

• chewy2u
    9 years ago

YES

toss the coin

tell us how it comes out.

I would definitely grow Kelloggs Breakfast Regular Leaf

• sue_ct
    9 years ago

Most people here in the past seem to like KBX better, but KB did better for me. They are not compact plants. In my zone 5b-6a garden, in a good gardening year, they top 6' tall with large fruits. But I don't think you can beat them for taste. There are a few people, though, who did not find that to be true in their own gardens, and choose not to grow them again. Taste is also subjective. They remain very popular, though, as most people do find them to be quite tasty. If you can manage that size plant, both are well worth trying, in my opinion. I personally like to try the "original" first and then the new, improved versions, and make up my own mind. The best way if you have room, is grow both in the same season, side by side, and see which you like better.

• roper2008
    9 years ago

KBX seems to be the more popular of the two. Like sue
    says, there is nothing compact about either one of them.
    They were both large plants in my garden. I cannot grow
    PL tomato plants anymore. They always get grey mold.

• sue_ct
    9 years ago

If you are looking for compact plants I would try Sophies Choice, for a red, and maybe Azoychka for a yellow, although that one got about 5 feet high in a 20 gallon pot for me, it would have been closer to 4' in the ground. The height of the pot causes it to be higher than that. I personally don't feel that there are many that can match KB in flavor, but those are better than the standard "patio" plants I see locally.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Posted by roper2008 7a-8 (lroper99@yahoo.com) on
    Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 17:12

KBX seems to be the more popular of the two. .............
    I cannot grow
    PL tomato plants anymore. They always get grey mold.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%

That is very interesting roper.
    I have a strong feeling that PLs are more susceptible to some kind of mold diseases.
    CASE IN POINT: Bloody Butcher, Matina, JBT, None of the RL varieties had that problem. So , I'll tray stay from PL as much as I can.

So I'll grow KB (RL ?): my final answer :-)