Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Are these Kosovo ?

mandolls
10 years ago

These are new for me, but from everything I have read they should be much larger fruit. Some sites say 8-12 oz. some say 1-2 lb.

When I google images there are a few different shapes and that are labeled Kosovo. And I dont see any images that show the strong dark green/light green color change that are on all of mine.

The tomato towards the back (not the one the finger is touching) is starting to blush. It is maybe 2.5 x 2", smaller than many roma types.

The plants seem very healthy, about 6ft. I grow with only 5-6 hours of sun, so I can expect smaller fruit, but not this small.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Comments (5)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Yes, I have lots of experience with Kosovo, see the link below, seeds directly from Glenn Parker.

Yes it's a heart and look at the shapes,mostly hearts, at Tania's link below.

And yes you'll see lots of differences as to sizes since it depends on the season grown when someone reports, what the weather was like in that season, what amendments were used and if so which ones and when,what the soil is like, and how the plants are grown.

When I look at the listings for Kosovo in the annual SSE Yearbook, for members, I see DTM's and sizes all over the place based on the variables I notedabove, and I left out where grown in a geographic sense.

If I were you I'd wait a bit to see if they do turn pink, most are hearts, and then you'l lknow.

IT's a great heart,and I'm a heat lover and have grown many heart varieties.

The green at the stem end of the fruits is almost always there in unripe fruits, it's par tof the ripening process, but the fruits wil lripen up to pink.

Hope that helps.,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Kosovo

• mandolls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for responding Carolyn.

I had found the link that you included when I was searching, and since none of the images looked quite like mine do, I was confused.

It is also my first tomato to show color, even the Early Girls and roma types aren't blushing yet. I saw Kosovo referred to as a late tomato a few places. That just added to the confusion;

I usually pick when a blush starts showing, and let them ripen inside, but I will leave this on and see what happens.

I dont mind them small if they are tasty!

• whgille
    10 years ago

Kosovo are a great tasting tomatoes, here they are from my garden in June. I am growing them again for the fall season.

Silvia

• mandolls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pic Sylvia - did yours look like mine when they were young? Did they increase in size even after they started showing color?

I know Florida tomatoes will be different than Wisconsin tomatoes, but assuming that cake stand is about 14" diameter, your Kosovo are more than twice the size of mine so far.

• whgille
    10 years ago

You are welcome Mandolls, I grow them in containers and the tomatoes were different sizes some probably small like yours and some bigger, from all the heart tomatoes that I tasted they were the ones that I like the best, this season I also grew Monokah's Hat that I also like because they fruit early. I usually use fresh bought seed from the seed companies, this way I am not worried about crossing varieties since I always grow an assortment in my garden.

Silvia

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES