Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

What's in your permanent rotation?

CaraRose
9 years ago

To go with our "never grow again" thread. What varieties do you grow every year? Any varieties that you are growing every year but are wavering on?

For me it's

Big Beef
Bloody Butcher (added this year)
Cherokee Purple (added this year)
Pink Brandywine
Black Cherry
Red Robin
Tumbling Tom

I admit to wavering on brandywine due to slow production. I may give brandy boy a chance next year and compare. If brandy boy has the same flavor and better production, I'd probably drop brandywine and go with brandy boy.

Comments (27)

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

CaraRose,

You might want to try Prudens Purple - the earliest of my large tomatoes here. I just tasted my first one and it's delicious and said to be as good as Brandywine! (I don't grow BW because it is so late and stingy here).

I'm growing all new-to-me varieties this year in search of the best tasting ones and, since, I'm still waiting for many of them to ripen, I cannot comment on what will become a permanent fixture quite yet.

Linda

• osagecounty
    9 years ago

...Sun Gold
    ...Cherokee Purple
    ...Indian Stripe
    ...Sweet Tangerine

• McRose
    9 years ago

The only one I know for sure is Sun Gold. Also really happy with Hartman's Yellow Gooseberry.

Next year I want to do a lot more, since this was my first year. Really want to try Bloody Butcher and Cherokee Purple, among others.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Most of what I am growing (almost 20 vars.) have not yet produced ripe fruits. And out of those 20 I will pick , maybe, 9 to 11 of them for the next year. I am sure there will be about 10 drop outs. But on the keepers side, I will grow again, SILETZ, BLOODY BUTCHER, SUN GOLD, SILVERY FT and CHEROKEE PURPLE. there goes 5 of them already , made reservation for the next season.

This post was edited by seysonn on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 2:50

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Good idea Cara. I was thinking the other day that we needed a "What varieties you will always grow" thread to off-set all the "never grow" discussions. :)

I have many "always grow" varieties but to name just a few:

Giant Belgium
    Brandywine OTV
    Arkansas Traveler
    Rutgers
    Eva Purple Ball
    Black Krim
    Cherokee Purple
    Indian Stripe
    Champion (both Ind and bush)
    Clear Pink Early

Dave

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

Momotaro
    Cherokee Purple
    Black Cherry
    Black from Tula (these were exceptional this year)

• John A
    9 years ago

My ALWAYS grow list includes:
    Rutgers
    Brandy Boy
    Opalka
    Black Krim
    Large Red Cherry.
    Others on the probable list are Cherokee Purple, Aunt Gertie's Gold and Brandywine OTV.
    John A

• reginald_317
    9 years ago

You might want to try Prudens PurpleI second that. PP pumps out a lot of medium-sized pink beefsteak berries with very good taste. A bit smaller than Brandy Boys (in my experience) and not quite as productive. But the equal or better in taste dept. to that of BB.
    PP pot-leaf tom is one tom I shall plant as long as I grow toms.
    Reggie

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys for the suggestion. I'll look into PP and probably give it a go next year :)

• nwheritagegardener
    9 years ago

I can't really speak to "always" grow, since this is only my second year growing tomatoes and first growing from seed. But I am really pleased with how these have done in my garden this year and they will be grown again next year.

Italian Roma
    Martino's Roma
    San Marzano
    Japanese Trifele Black

These aren't even ripe yet, but they have been the best growers so far, so unless something completely unforeseen happens, they'll be back.

• tomatovator21
    9 years ago

Wes
    Ramapo F1
    Goose Creek
    Cuostralee

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

I can not say that I will grow it every year but some that I will return
    Azochka
    Isis candy
    Missouri Pink Love Apple
    Marianne Peace
    Nikolaevna
    Olena Ukrainian
    Momotaro
    Japanese Thruffle
    Paul Robeson
    Haley Purple Comet from Heritage, there are others
    Indian Stripe
    Carbon
    Amazon Chocolate
    Hungarian heart
    Stump of the World
    Earl Faux
    1884 Purple
    Lithuanian
    Sakharnyi Pudovichok
    Malakhitovaya Schatulka
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian
    Milka Red Bulgarian
    Tsarskyi Luybimets
    Koroleva
    Moravsky Div
    Galina Red
    Kermit
    Bychie Serdse
    Byiskaya Roza
    Tsar Kolokol
    Fresa
    Vova Putin- hate the name but really good tomato
    Budenovka
    Matina
    Jaune Flamee
    Mikhalych
    Lagidnyi
    well, some varieties from this year I have not tasted yet

• sharonrossy
    9 years ago

That's quite a list! For now, I would say Black Cherry, Sun Gold or Sun Sugar, Anna Russian. I'm trying all new varieties this year with the exception of the cherries and AR. So I will decide after I try this years crop, if they ever ripen!

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Red Robin ! It has a nice little beefsteak-y flavor and thin skins. It's a cute little plant that in my area can probably grow year round, with some care against cold. I'm going to try starting more seeds this fall and yep, winter !

• HotHabaneroLady
    9 years ago

Up to now, I have not had any "always grow" varities. I liked my tomatoes, but I have always liked trying new things more. But this year I tried Azoychka and that was such a taste revelation that I will probably have to make them my first ever "always grow" variety.

I'm tempted to make mortgage lifters an "always grow" too, but I'm not quite sure about that.

Angie

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deeby, I'm going to attempt to grow minibel and red robin over the winter under lights. :)

• hoosier40 6a Southern IN
    9 years ago

Trying to find some new ones to replace most of what I used to grow that were mostly hybrids. So far:

Cherokee Purple- Tons of big, early, very tasty tomatoes, at least this year.

Anna Russian- Very early, large and very good eating.

NAR- Not terribly productive, at least this year, but will give it another go for sure.

Same with:

Prudens Purple
    Green Zebra
    Opalka

Jury is still out on some others, but I usually grow some Rutger and Black Krim as well.

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

Sweet Cherry 100,
    Black Krim
    Paul Robeson
    Mortgage Lifter
    I'm still waiting on Marianna's Peace.

Cuostralee was a good producer, but not sure how much I loved them. Aunt Ruby's German Green never gave anything, nor did Hillbilly. Boo.

VedaPeeps you are in Z10, maybe I will try your go-to's next year. Momotaro, Cherokee Purple, Black Cherry, Black from Tula. We may have similar taste.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Sharonie, I am of the opinion that best sauces and salsas done with variety of great tasting tomatoes. So I tend to plant for early to midseason, reliable, productive and great taste. All those above in my list work really well in my zone 5 here.
    Now if the question was about tomatoes that I will recognize taste with my eyes closed the list will be much shorter LOL

• sharonrossy
    9 years ago

Linda, I agree with using a variety of tomatoes for sauces. If I had the space, time and energy it would grow Orange Strawberry just to make sauce, because in my opinion and taste buds, it made the best sauce, tart and sweet, but I wasn't crazy about it for eating. I think I've ordered some seeds for tomatoes on your list for next year.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Ha, my Orange strawberry just got ripe. Need to go and taste it now.
    P.S. it is a keeper, very meaty sweet taste but false sweetness, acidity is quite high.

This post was edited by lindalana on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 21:29

• ekgrows
    9 years ago

Black Krim
    Brandywine
    Kelloggs Breakfast
    Aunt Ruby German Green
    Lillian's yellow Heirloom
    Rose de Berne
    Black cherry
    Sunsugar
    Green Dr. Frosted

• sharonrossy
    9 years ago

Glad you liked OS Linda! Try it as a sauce. Although I have yet to eat one, CP is quite productive and BW OTV looks like it might earn a spot.

• tomfoo13ry
    9 years ago

Old Standbys:
    Cherokee Purple
    Mortgage Lifter (RC)
    Better/Big Boy

Made this year's cut, will try again next season:
    Sungold
    Black Krim
    Arkansas Traveler ?

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

Perennial returnees:
    Mortgage Lifter (Estler's)
    SunSugar
    Normally Big Zebra (someone goofed and sent me something else this year boohoo!!)
    German Red Strawberry

These I kind of rotate between years:
    KBX*
    Cherokee Purple*
    Big Rainbow
    Yellow Oxheart

*These are my 2014 growings

I have several new-to-me varieties this year and depending on how we like them they may find themselves on one or the other list for future years. Since nothing is ripe yet we will have to wait and see.

Edie

• smithmal
    9 years ago

I don't know if these are ALWAYS in my rotation (I really like to experiment each year), but the varieties below have done well and I would recommend them to someone in a heartbeat:

Cherry:
    Black Cherry
    Sungold
    Mountain Magic
    Dr. Carolyn (more ping pong size than cherry)
    Sweet Million

Early Varieties:
    Kimberly
    Pink Honey

Reds:
    Rutgers
    Celebrity
    Marianna's Peace
    Omar's Lebanese

Yellow/Orange:
    Azoychka
    KBX
    Hugh's

Bi-color:
    Pineapple
    Berkely Tie-Dye

Greens:
    Cherokee Green

Blacks:
    Cherokee Purple
    Indian Stripe

smithmal

This post was edited by smithmal on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 22:22

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

To Deeby - Have you planted many winter tomato beds? What works for you?