Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help pruning top heavy tomatoes

Posted by westminstress (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 11:08

So my Sweet 100 tomatoes are like uncontrollable wild beasts. And they have grown so tall and so crazy and dense at the top that they have toppled the stakes over twice. There are literally hundreds of green tomatoes on this plant waiting to ripen, and more flowers as well, but the growth is out of control. I think I need to prune out some of the weight at the top -- any advice on the best way to do this and still preserve some of my tomato harvest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help pruning top heavy tomatoes

No way to know what to cut without seeing the plant itself, that will be your choice. But using stakes rather than cages is the real issue. Cages provide a totally different type of support and allow all that top growth to just drape back down the outside and keep growing. With stakes all you can do is add more stakes around the plant.

If you can make a circle of 3-4 stakes and create a sort of cage of strings around the plant most of it will be supported. Then let it prune itself. Any branch that can't support itself will break over and wilt - remove those and leave the rest. Some will appear to break but won't wilt. They will survive so leave those.

Sweet 100s are always huge plants and for best results and production we have to plan ahead accordingly.

Dave

o

Sun Gold grows the same. I had some in cages and some on stakes. In both cases I eventually had to add more stakes to support the draping.

Don't prune!

o

I agree with Osagecounty,
I am also growing a yellow grape size that is the same.

Most cherries seem to have a wild vine growing habit. But I am growing one (from store bought heirloom) that is manageable. No ripe fruits yet but it is loaded under 4 ft height .

o

Double post again !
... NO INTENTIONAL...

This post was edited by seysonn on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 3:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here