Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

Do you like sweet tomatoes?

sheltieche
9 years ago

And I mean sweet tomatoes, with feeling of some sugar sprinkled on top?
Couple varieties that sweet in my garden this year is Galina's red and Altajskij Urozajnij from Tania. Galina's red tasted like some sugar sprinkled on top of Brandywine Cowlicks which I compared slice to slice...
Last year it was Isis candy specially at the end of the season, it was darn near regular sugary candy taste.
To me it feels almost out of balance sweetness, at least you will need your salt and vinegar for the salad. Or at least few tart tasting tomatoes like Jaune Flammee or dark ones...

Here is a link that might be useful: Altajskij Urozajnij

Comments (7)

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

I LOVE sweet tomatoes and Sungold is my favourite!

I don't think I can grow something that I cannot pronounce let alone remember or spell (LOL).

Was Galina's red productive? I may have to put that one on my wish list for next year!

Linda

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Productivity was solid for both. AU is compact indet and will do well in the pot, good for salads, Galina's red larger beef indet. Must grows for me.
    I know you like Rose De Berne, really suggest to try Koroleva. Tania lists it as one of family favorites... and it is early.

Here is a link that might be useful: koroleva

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Many thanks!

Will add Koroleva to my wish list! I like the size and it looks great!

Linda

• seysonn
    9 years ago

My Take:
    I have never met a tomato that had been too sweet. But some that had been too sour and/or bland, dry . Sweetness, if too much, has a cure for fresh eating or in salad ; Some salts and vinegar can take care of that. But I wouldn't want sprinkle sugar on a very sour tomato.

• rt_peasant
    9 years ago

For snacking or sandwiches, I like sweet tomatoes. Sungold is my favorite snacking tomato, and it is very sweet. But for salsa, sauce, salads, etc., I don't like sweet. For those uses, I prefer a tangy, not-so-sweet tomato. Cowlicks Brandywine, which the OP mentioned, is a bit sweet for my palate. Cherokee Purple is another favorite snacking tomato, but I wouldn't use CP in salsa, because it's so sweet.

FWIW, 2 of my favorite, not-too-sweet slicing varieties are Neves Azorean Red and Brandy Boy. I find both of these to be more tangy than sweet, with classic tomato flavor.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I don't think of CP as really sweet, I do like CP, BK, BW for bigger tomatoes. I like a tomato to taste like tomato - with some acid.

But I tried Sungold for the first time this year, that is really sweet and yummy! So is Black Cherry. My dad swears by Super Sweet 100 but I am going to have him try Sungold. He probably won't try BC.

I have Galinas yellow cherry that just started ripening and they taste very bland to me. I think Green Doctors are just ripe today, I have to try some. Ester Hess is very bland too, and Dr. Carolyn isn't doing anything (sorry, not you Carolyn, I mean the tomatoes aren't ripening!).

• Gregory123
    9 years ago

To my taste sweetness is not as critical as texture, juiciness and overall tomato flavor. I don't like a hard solid kind of dry texture. I basically want the kind of quality tomato that you cant buy in the grocery store.