Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Cutting Off New Flowers Really Hasten Ripening?

Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 11:32

I know it's a little early in my zone to be thinking about frost, but I am wondering if trimming off any new flowers and flower buds really does make the remaining fruits ripen faster.

I've read the posts about just letting the green tomatoes ripen on the counter, but that didn't seem to work for me last year. I tried to let a completely green tomato ripen on the counter and it looked wonderful, but tasted bland.

So I am willing to sacrifice any new tomatoes if it would allow the older tomatoes to at least get to blush stage before I have to harvest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Cutting Off New Flowers Really Hasten Ripening?

I have heard heavy pruning or even taking a knife or shovel and cutting in a half circle by the base of the plant and destroying some of the roots will cause them to ripen sooner.

Supposedly puts the plant into a survival move and the plant will focus its energy on ripening the remaining fruit before dying. Not really sure if this is a proven method or not.

o

Removing flowers, no. Trimming off new growth, maybe. Some advocate topping the plants at season's end to force ripen the remaining fruit. I've never tried it personally since my season is so long here.

Same goes for spade pruning roots on one side of the plant - some swear by it. Logically it has the best chance of working.

What works best for me if needed is just to pull up the whole plant and hang it upside down in the basement, barn or greenhouse where it won't freeze. The fruit ripen nicely.

Dave

o

If shovel pruning you do it all the way around the main stem, about one foot out from the main stem, not just halfway around the plant.

What it does is to cut the top feeder roots, the other roots are depper so you aren't killing the plant.

And yes, for many is does work.

The temps for September here where I live in NYS are supposed to be much warmer and drier than normal, so I'm not doing anything to my plants well, not much to do after the devastation due to Irene today.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here