Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annaa_gw

How Test for Pesticides in My Tomatoes

AnnaA
9 years ago

My tomatoes this year are incredible - I did so little to deserve the quality and quantity of harvest, which has me wondering...

My neighbor has a well-maintained landscaped yard. The watering system has so much run off, I never have to water my boxes next to the fence. I know they are not the most caring about what they put into the dirt, as once they threatened to use DDT to kill some of my raspberry runners (I immediately relocated the patch).

I'm wondering what chemicals they use in their yard that might be leaching into my tomatoes, and is that what's accounting for picture-perfect vines and fruit? The only pests are our monster slugs which get to some of the fruit on the ground.

I read about pesticide test strips...anyone able to recommend a product, where I could take a tomato, wash and blend it up, and then test it for chemicals?

Obvious solution would be to ask the neighbors, but that isn't possible.

Thanks everyone.

Comments (6)

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

They probably use Miracle Grow!

I don't know how you could find out, but at least it's nothing that is harming the tomatoes, so that's hopefully a good thing.

If I was bothered by stuff leaching from next door, I'd either move the veggie garden or build it up higher.

Linda

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

There is some confusion in your use of pesticides vs. herbicides vs. fungicides and how they work. That confusion may be causing your worries. Without knowing exactly what they use on there lawn there is little cause for concern as long as it wasn't herbicides - the most common lawn chemical used.

For example, DDT is an insecticide not a herbicide so couldn't be used to kill berry bushes. And the use of pesticides to maintain their lawn would be very unusual indeed except perhaps for a 1 time application for grub control. And it would little to no effect on your plants, much less the fruit, even with run off. Herbicides would have damaged or killed your plants so that rules them out.

Most likely it was just some sort of fertilizer and your plants benefited from it.

Even when pesticides and fungicides are sprayed directly on the plant and fruit, careful washing removes 99% of it.

That said, the only way you can actually test for pesticide residues inside fruit is in a lab with specialized equipment. The state of California has one of the most extensive pesticide residue testing programs in the county yet less than 1% of the food they test fails to pass. The odds are heavily in your favor that your tomatoes are just fine. :)

So moving your plants is your best method of control.

Dave

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Hi Anna

I can relate, having a neighbor with regular lawn care service and not a single blade of thick deep green grass out of place.

As already mentioned, you have nothing to worry about regarding the fertilizers unless you'ver made the decision to grow by organic protocol. Super-Lawn fertilizer can have a lot of soluble iron and manganese and both can help tomatoes (same as Miracle Grow). The plants won't take up more than they need.

If they really are spraying for something, the drift is likely airborne, not by irrigation. Post in the Organic Lawn Care Forum and ask them and see if there is a wonder strip that tests for more than 2-3 pesticides.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Lawn Care Forum

• AnnaA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all - my worry level has surely gone down. I process my yearly batch of sauce this time of year and was worried that I was doing us more harm than good.

labradors, I got a good chuckle that it might be miracle grow. Never even had that option on my radar. And digdirt, you nailed it - I don't know the difference between pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides no matter how many times I hear their definitions. But your summary was so very helpful. PupillaCharities - very reassuring, and thanks for the tip to hunt for test strips in the Organic Lawn Care forum. I wouldn't doubt they spray but we have a hefty fence that I'm hoping blocks most of it.

Thank you everyone.
    AnnaA

• gin_gin
    9 years ago

In addition to DDT being an insecticide not a herbicide, it was banned in the U.S. over 40 years ago. So if that is indeed what they threatened your raspberry plants with, they either didn't know what they were talking about, or they were yanking your chain, or both.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Or they have an old bottle stashed away.....

Linda