Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
struwwelpeter

Where is the Best Place to Grow Tomatoes?

struwwelpeter
14 years ago

I am going to guess Sonoma Valley, CA.

Comments (29)

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I think it's the greenhouse at Epcot. They must have that stuff all worked out if they're managing to grow it as a perennial!

But in terms of natural climates, I would guess central California too, somewhere with consistently warm but rarely hot temperatures.

• struwwelpeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

But in terms of natural climates, I would guess central California too, somewhere with consistently warm but rarely hot temperatures.

I am also factoring the quality of soil into my guess and assuming that inexpensive water via plumbing is available.

• mojavebob
    14 years ago

I'd guess anywhere from just north of Santa Barbara to San Diego. Sunset zones 20-24.

• struwwelpeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since tomatoes are related to potatoes, how about Idaho?

• veg_grower964
    14 years ago

I have heard they produce good tomatoes in italy.
    though in the united states I would have to go with califorina also

ED

• wcthomas
    14 years ago

New Joisey, of course! ;-)

TomNJ

• structure
    14 years ago

Well I live in central California and I'm less sure it's ideal. Too cool by the coast. Too hot inland.

When I lived in Iowa for a few years I was simply stunned how well tomatoes did. Lots of massive fruit seeming to overwhelm the plant. Here it's been hit or miss. This year great, but still not ideal. Other years less so.

So my vote is on good loamy soil in Midwest. Weather and disease permitting.

• pennyrile
    14 years ago

Right here in my backyard. Send me all your seeds. I'll let you know how everything turns out. Detailed report with pictures when available.

• ninjabut
    14 years ago

Well, I believe you are close! I'm in Sonoma Co CA (Luther Burbank Country) and the "real" wine country.
    We are in a very Mediteraian area that is wet in the winter and very dry in the summer. Cool mornings and hot afternoons through Aug, Sept and even Oct.
    The central valley that someone mentioned is great for the truck loads of "tomatoes" that come into the stores.
    That area is great for home garden places to stop for veges. Very hot, early fruit and veges.
    We are very warm in Aug and Sept and can put forth some of the best fruits and veges in the country during our harvest season!

• tammysf
    14 years ago

I'm in norcal and our weather has been averaging in low 80-mid 80s. Mostly sunny weather.
    My first year has been really good. Big plants with lots of fruit.

• barkeater
    14 years ago

Best flavored tomatoes grow in New Jersey sandy loam, specifically called sassafras loam. None better!

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

Oh gosh, Veg, I think I forgot there was a world outside the US :-O

• korney19
    14 years ago

I think someone posted something about this in the past, it had something to do with lattitude, maybe around 40-45 degrees. It seemed to line up thru many popular tomato areas in multiple countries.

• sprtsguy76
    14 years ago

Easy. Santa Clara Ca. Warm days, mildly cool nights. No rain from mid spring all the way through summer. Just pure beautiful weather all summer long.
    ;)

Damon

• dancinglemons
    14 years ago

My back yard!! Your back yard!! My front yard!! Your front yard!! Lawn grass is highly over rated!!

:-)))

DL

• mojavebob
    14 years ago

I stand by coastal Socal. It's like living in a greenhouse. Nocal has areas that are good, but like all things, Socal is just a little better. ;)

• struwwelpeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in norcal and our weather has been averaging in low 80-mid 80s. Mostly sunny weather.
    My first year has been really good. Big plants with lots of fruit.

Near the red wood forests? Surely, not under them. I am imagining a 6" banana slug on tomato plant.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

Near the red wood forests? Surely, not under them. I am imagining a 6" banana slug on tomato plant.

--------

I think the closest redwood forest is about 15 mins away.

And knock on wood but no slugs, aphids, mites....only about 20 hornworm which we found while they were super small so very minimal damage.

My weather is a lot like santa clara. Warm-hot dry days with cooler nights allow for lots of fruitset.

• platys
    14 years ago

My great grandma always grew amazing tomatoes in her yard, in Iowa. I wish I knew if she saved seed, or bought new every year, but she's gone now.

It's been really easy growing tomatoes in Illinois, despite the cooler weather this summer.

• jbann23
    14 years ago

Anywhere near the coast by the ocean. Mini-climates seem to favor them quite a bit. Usually cooler at night and not severely hot during the day. Just a guess from a mini-climate grower in RI. Oh, not in the beach sand of course, just a bit inland.

• star_stuff
    14 years ago

I would say areas with a Mediterranean climate: of course the Mediterranean basin (Spain, France, Italy, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Morocco, Algeria, etc.), also California & northwestern Mexico, parts of Chile, South Africa, and Australia.

• karencon
    14 years ago

jbann, We must live very near eachother. I'm in NK on the bay. I have crushed seashells in the perimeters of the yard and eeeeverything grows in them. My deck plants facing the bay do well too. Winds can dry them out quickly though.

• compost_pete-grower
    14 years ago

What kind of tomatoes? Certain varieties do well in different climates. Climate varies from year to year. Didn't tomatoes originally come from central and south america- peru? I bet they grow well there, anyone from there.
    I have grown many of the so called great toms from california in my midwest paradise and they do not perform well here. Get out your brix refractometer and report your fruits' sugar (solids level) and lets see where the sweetest fruit can be grown. I bet it all depends on the variety, the soil, the climate BLAH,BLAH,BLAH.
    Also, cool nights IMO do not favor the flavor.

• jbann23
    14 years ago

karencon, yep we're close. I'm in Wakefield or SK if you will.

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Long Island

• newgardener_tx
    14 years ago

Texas!
    You will harvest your first tomato in April.
    With super hot summer your tomato will be super sweet.
    With 68 days of 100F you will get sundried tomatoes automatically!

Just kidding.

• struwwelpeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Didn't tomatoes originally come from central and south america- peru? I bet they grow well there, anyone from there.

But, kudzu grows better in Georgia than Japan from whence it came. And, rabbits grow better in Australia than Europe from whence they came.

• mulio
    14 years ago

in the ground

• seramas
    14 years ago

For me it is Florida.

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl for five years and only planted 10 plants the first year. I would trim 5 plants back to 4 inches ever 6 months. The other 5 were trimmed every 6 months also, but 3 months after the first group so I had tomatoes without interruption. They were 2-Roma, 3-brandywine, 3-celebrity and 2-unknown (seeds passed down from my Grandma's garden).

Would love it if that would happen here in Michigan!