Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chelated Micronutrients

Posted by growneat (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 11:41

Some of the growers I know are highly recommending the use of chelated micronutrients as a foliar spray on tomatoes. Does anyone here have much experience with this? These are said to be organic in that the nutrients are attached to a carbohydrate molecule. The chelated substance enters the leaves where the plant then removes the carbohydrate portion and utilizes the micronutrient.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chelated Micronutrients

Any reputable scientific university type study on this ?

o

bump

o

Seysonn et.al. to to find university studies on any subject put ~ site:.edu ~ along with your keywords in Google.

Example ~ clelate vegetable site:.edu ~ finds, among others, HS1208/HS1208: Understanding and Applying Chelated Fertilizers Effectively Based on Soil pH which is one of several University of Florida extension service publicans available on-line.

o

These are said to be organic in that the nutrients are attached to a carbohydrate molecule. The chelated substance enters the leaves where the plant then removes the carbohydrate portion and utilizes the micronutrient.

Not quite but close enough for our purposes. But not all CN quality as "organic". It all depends on if the chelate is bound to an organic nutrient source or a synthetic nutrient source. In other words the chelate is organic, the nutrient itself may or may not be. If that makes a difference to you.

My first question would be exactly which of the nutrients you feel is deficient? Iron, zinc, manganese, boron, etc. are all relatively minor ones easy to supply with most pH balanced soils. And if the pH is badly skewed to begin with then the benefits vs. cost doesn't balance out IMO.

Second question would be how to justify the costs of them for the average home gardener?

Dave

o

Dave:

I was looking at this primarily because a lot of the giant pumpkin growers use these substances on a regular basis and particularly calcium. As you know some of the minerals present in the soil and showing up in soil tests as "being there" are actually bound up and not available to plants even though being present in the soil. I looked at several videos and read several articles about chelated micronutrients either "bundled" with more than one and usually all the micronutrients in one package or individual such as calcium. I was just wondering if these were being commonly used by tomato growers or not and whether they were considered here as being organic as being advertised as such does not necessarily make it so. They are expensive but commercial growers seem to think they are worth it. Noone says anywhere that they make tomatoes either taste better or become toxic. Pumpkin growers apply them as a foliar feed which also has some appealing aspects. They reportedly do not harm the soil. My little garden will never be a financial success. Potatoes and tomatoes and garlic and corn at the local grocery store are fresh and cheaper than I can grow them. What is the value of being able to "pick and eat?"

o

This is a neat video

http://www.albionplantnutrition.com/plant-nutrition/efficacy/#video

o

Unckle Dunkle and Growneat Corporation !!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here