Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yumtomatoes

Rate these Heirlooms please

yumtomatoes
12 years ago

If you have grown any of these, tell me if you could pick just one, which you would pick and why. I like tomatoes that have a nice balance between sweet and acidic and don't have thick skins. I don't need a lot of fruit so it is OK if they aren't that productive. I plan on spraying for fungus and bugs with neem oil, insecticidal soap and daconil as needed. I grow them in containers in South Florida.

Kellogg's Breakfast

Mortgage Lifter

Brandywine Sudduth's

Brandywine Landis

Cherokee Purple

Comments (9)

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

Kellogg's Breakfast
    Mortgage Lifter
    Brandywine Sudduth's
    Brandywine Landis
    Cherokee Purple

I grow tomatoes primarily for taste and would normally rate them that way, but from all your other threads here I know you're in FL and I know you want to grow some for a Fall crop, so with that in mind I'd select one of the following two:

Cherokee Purple b'c the taste is good and it grows well almost everywhere and should withstand the heat conditions you've posted elsewhere. Disclaimer: if given a choice I'd grow Indian Stripe, a version of CP, if you were buying seeds other than from TGS b'c I don't think Linda lists it.

Red Brandywine ( Landis), which I explained in the thread where you asked about Brandywines. The taste is good, it sets better than most brandywines in heat and should do OK where you garden for a Fall crop.

Carolyn

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn. I would love to be able to grow them all, but don't have the space so what I am going to do is grow transplants for my friends who have more land and then hope they take care of the plants and share some tomatoes with me.

For my one container, I was planning on Brandywine OTV since it sets better in the heat. I would however love to be able to taste the true heirlooms just to know what they taste like. And if I can find an attractive planter of sufficient size and price for my patio, I may go with Sungold as a second plant since it sounds like it is a great cherry for my tastes and I think the cherries do better down here.

• miesenbacher
    12 years ago

Yum, here is a post from a gentlemen concerning varieties that do best in for him in climatic conditions similar to yours. Ami

"I am about 20 miles north of the Florida line in southeast Alabama so I deal with the same kind of heat. I had great luck with NAR, BTD Pink, JD's Special C Tex, Indian Stripe, Old Virginia, Stump of the World, Gary O' Sena and Kosovo. My KBX and Limbaughs did great in the heat. If you like Limbaughs you should try Stump of the World. Stump starts setting a little later but it sets longer and the tomatoes are similar in taste. My Cowlick's Brandywine was the only Brandywine besides Brandy Boy to ever do anything down here. It set far more fruit but they weren't as large or as pretty as the Brandy Boy."

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    12 years ago

My Mortgage Lifters (Estlers) are doing extremely well in the unusual heat we've been having lately (most of a month in the upper 90's - ugh), so they might actually do pretty well in your climate also. We have already harvested a few, whereas the oxhearts, etc. are still very green. I have a few seeds left, so if you'd like a couple to try, let me know and I can send them to you.
    Edie

• tomncath
    12 years ago

"I am about 20 miles north of the Florida line in southeast Alabama...

That's Zone 8 probably, we're Zone 10, it's not the daytime heat for us that counts, it's what's happening overnight. For the most part we don't get bloom set when the night temps. are over 73F....

• bigpinks
    12 years ago

My Estler MLs have went above and beyond.....huge round pink tomatoes 10 or more from each plant already harvested and more on the vines. Tried Brandy Boy and it did well but not as good as EML. No experience with Brandywine. Cherokee Purple grown for the first time and I will always grow it from now on. Great taste, good production and size.

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Tomncath,
    That is an interesting observation. My location hasn't gone over 87 yet we haven't had fruit set for weeks on end. Night temps are around 78. Only a few cherry tomatoes se fruit throughout and even then, less than the spring.

• tomncath
    12 years ago

That is an interesting observation. My location hasn't gone over 87 yet we haven't had fruit set for weeks on end. Night temps are around 78. Only a few cherry tomatoes se fruit throughout and even then, less than the spring.

Just the "facts of life" here in Florida with the varied regions. I can only grow the currants through the summer while my sister 80 miles north can grow cherries since they are inland and about 10 degrees cooler at night than we are.

Tom

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Edie - thanks for the generous offer! I went ahead and ordered the Brandywines and Cherokee Purple. Unfortunately, I don't have much space so I am going to try the Brandywine this year and see how those do.

The problem we have here as tom pointed out is our night time temperatures. I may not get many Brandywines because of that, but I think I really want to try since they are the most famous of the heirlooms and seem popular.