Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
biofungicides and rain

Posted by emmers_m 6 Northern NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 12:09

I'm wondering if I should spray my tomatoes with Serenade tomorrow with a heavy rain forecast that night, or wait until after the storm?

Will the rain wash the bacteria off the leaves or can the colonies hang on? I have not been spraying when rain is forecast, but now I'm wondering if that's been a mistake, especially considering that my tomatoes suffer an explosion of spotty leaves after each storm.

Also, I just sprayed Actinovate yesterday/today - will following with Serenade so closely interfere, or do the different species of bacteria coexist peacefully? I've been trying to spray the tomatoes every 3-4 days alternating between the two products, so that they get both on a weekly basis, but it was rainy on Wed so my Actinovate spray was delayed. (and I pulled a 5 gallon bucket of spotty leaves out after the rain.)

Thanks for any insight into proper biofungicide use :)

~emmers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: biofungicides and rain

I have been taught that rain can splash fungus spores from the ground up onto the plant/leaves. So preventing splash is good. My understanding is that once an "infection" sets in, it is "too late". So I am going to recommend spray before the rain, hopefully enough in advance that is get absorbed/dried before the rain can wash it off.

Newspaper and/or mulch under the plan helps minimize splash. I did this for the first time this year, and I'm going to cover a wider (do a better job) area next year. Also, removing some of the lower leaves close to the ground may help some (as the plant grows, but do not over-do it). If the lower leaves are "infected" is would be good to remove them if possible. I am beginning to think that tomatoes (plants) are a difficult to grow. But my tomatoes (fruit) sure look great so far this year.

o
RE: biofungicides and rain

thanks, claydirt,

I couldn't help myself - I let about 50 volunteers (out of many hundreds) survive in my garden and have been battling early blight and probably several other fungi since early in the season.

I did do my homework, though - my tomatoes are well mulched with straw and I have been vigilant, probably too much so, in removing the spotty leaves.

But I'm curious about what the bacteria do once they hit the leaves. Will the rain wash them off, or can they hang on somehow and be the front line against the rain-exploded fungus?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here