Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uptomyeyeballs

I was offended

uptomyeyeballs
16 years ago

My DH brought a large assortment of my toms to work and came back with a bottle of salsa a friend made from my toms. Well then earlier this week he comes home and says, "You didn't really grow many large tomatoes this year. I mean, they all seem to be small." (I do have several smallish varieties and WAY too many cherry types)

Well I was OFFENDED! Apparently he had not seen my very prolific brandywines and certainly he did not see this plant that I had been watching. So the next morning I went out to see if they were ripe and sure enough my giant pineapples were ripe!

These are 2 pounds EACH! and are my biggest this year yet!

Here is a pic of them sliced!

Comments (14)

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Well, did THAT shut him down? Hope so. Wonder what his foot tasted like. haha.
    Lovely 'maters you have there. Making me drool

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

Why would you be offended? He can't know what you have unless he sees them with his own eyes. Some men are impossible, they won't acknowledge that anything exists until they see it with their eyes or their best friends tell them or they read it in something reliable like Sports Illustrated.

I bet I'm preaching to the choir here and you already know your husband's manners. Next time, flatter him by saying "Honey, I have a lot of big tomatoes out there. You're so strong, I'll need your help carrying them in." You can get a man to do anything as long as he thinks he is more important to you than whatever you want him to do.

• uptomyeyeballs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh I wasn't personally offended, but my avid tomato grower's heart was crushed that he hadn't noticed all those beautiful, large brandywines that had been littering the counter for weeks. And that he was calling small those varieties that are meant to be on the smallish side such as my green zebras and red lightning, roma etc.
    Sometimes I am amazed that even though it is right before his eyes, he cannot see it.
    BTW he took some more tomatoes to be made into salsa this morning. When he noticed the 2 pounder (funny I had pointed it out to him before) He said "whoa! that one's big, I won't take that one." I almost wanted him to take it just so one could say that I only grow small tomatoes. :)

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Smile sweetly and ask him if he does think size matters after all?

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

You girls keep it up and you are going to end up single!
    LOL

• duajones
    16 years ago

Is that stinkbug damage or just the color of the tomatoes?

• GawdinFever
    16 years ago

LOL
    I like fishymamas response!

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

Size DOES tomater!

• uptomyeyeballs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Duajones, that is just the color of the tomatoes and they are one of my favorites.

• allrawpaul
    16 years ago

Oh yeah, right, I only grow small tomatoes. Therefore the 2 pound tomato that I just clobbered you over the head with does not exist and so pay no attention to it. Ya big ape!

• tomatod
    16 years ago

That's one of the prettiest sliced tomatoes I've seen in my life. What is the name of it? Giant Pineapple? Can you give more information and a seed source?

Don

• uptomyeyeballs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The variety is called pineapple. I got the seeds two years ago from totally tomatoes. I love its meaty flesh and great flavor and it is perfect sliced thick for sandwiches. I have to admit though, that this year it was not my heaviest producer. It made the largest fruit, but there weren't as many of them as I would have liked.

• trubbadubbadoo
    16 years ago

You gals can talk all the manure you want on men -but- *drools on self* that is some fine looking 'maters you got sliced up there on that plate.

You grow tomatoes like that for me, and I am your absolute slave for eternity!

Hmmm... pineapple tomatoes huh? They breed true?

• vegegrower
    16 years ago

I would like to try some of those Pineapple tomatoes, how much space do they need? i currently have some romas ( and a watermelon that takes up room ). What sort of weather conditions does it like? I live in a cold area, so should I hang out until I get my greenhouse?