Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long do seeds in a packet last?

Posted by yumtomatoes 10b/FLA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 12:10

I keep my seeds refrigerated. I don't know if that is a good idea or not. Is it? I have the A/C running year round and the temp indoors is about 77 degrees so I could keep them in the house.

How long do seeds generally last in the packet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long do seeds in a packet last?

On July 28 I planted about 10 seeds in each of two cups. Today I see at least two sprouts in each. Seed is Rutgers by green valley 59 cents each. Date is packed for 1992. These are regular paper package that were kept where ever and when ever here in dry Colorado. Might have been in garage at over 100 degrees and surly have been 20 below or so some time in their life. I think that dry is the most important thing,
YMMV. KennyP

o

In a humid climate, it wouldn't hurt to open the seed packet as soon as you get it, then put the seeds in a small ziplock.

I have seen 2x2" or 2x3" ziplocks for sale at a local antique shop (not quite sure why), from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange (catalog and online), and also from American Science & Surplus (catalog and online; lots of great, weird stuff).

Several seed vendors I've purchased from ship their seeds in ziplocks (sometimes with a printed label, sometimes inside a paper envelope).

o

Walmart sells the little plastic ziplocks cheap in the craft aisle. Seeds last alot longer refrigerated. They ususally only last a few years at room temps.

o

If you are talking about tomato seeds (many discussions here about this the search will pull up) cool dry storage is easily good for 5-10 years. Even longer has been posted by many in the past up to and including 25 years. The Seed Saving forum has a good FAQ about how to best store seeds.

Personally I have fridge stored seeds (in paper) that are still highly viable past 10 years - used some '94 and '96 dated ones this year.

Many professional seed savers prefer paper envelopes over plastic since plastic can trap moisture inside.

Dave

o

thanks for the link, dave!

o

I have a lot of commercial tom seed that is 10+ years old still going pretty strong. I dont refriderate, but not much humidity where I live. INfact I recently seeded for Fall crop and I placed 4-6 seeds per as most of it was pretty old. As near as I can tell, ALL the old seed came up, some of the newer seed, not so much.....go figure. LInda

o

I store mine in sealed plastic bags or watertight boxes together with some silica gel packets, which keep them dry and absorb humidity.

o

the silica packets are a good idea, thanks!

o

I think the silica packets are probably good for a growing season. If you're going to keep seed longer, I'd replace them once or twice a year.

o
RE: How long do seeds in a packet last? ...

Correction: I'd replace the ones you have in with your seeds regularly. You can probably keep spare silica packets in a tightly sealed container for 2 or 3 years.

o

I also like the silica packets for my seeds. I get them from vitamin jar each new jar (the vitamins don't need them). I keep my seed in zipbags inside lock-n-lock container in dresser drawer. Tomato seeds planted this year 5 years old did very well about 95% germination. I occasionally will vacuum pack seeds.

DL

o

Another tip when using older seeds is to plant extra seeds to account for low germination rates.

I've made this mistake when planting pepper seeds that were 5+ years old. My 2nd go-round I planted about 10 seeds and got the 5 or so plants that I wanted. Seeds are cheap, so i think i will go this route every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here