Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadem4

What is wrong with my plant?

JadeM4
10 years ago

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my plants? I have tried researching causes but can't find one that matches my plants. I live in KS and has been hot here. My plants are maybe 2 ft tall :( plants started out good but then these bumps and bulges started showing up and plant doesn't grow anymore. I have no fruit on them as well. Any help you can give would be awesome!
Thanks
Jade

Comments (9)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Any chance of a broadleaf weed killer used anywhere in the vicinity?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The leaves curling is due to the sick/damaged stem.
    How did it happen? One possibility could be something has been eating it : Rat, Worms, Caterpillars, Rabbits.

At this stage even if they revived, wont be possible to flower and grow fruits that will ripen before the end of season anyway. JMO

• JadeM4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have sprayed roundup in a ditch full of sandburs but a pretty good distance to the north of my garden. Is this something that can happen even if the plant gets a wiff of it? I have been careful to watch for pests to be eating on them and have not seen any. The plants started out with the bumps then Crack open. I do have a mole problem in my garden and have wondered if that's not part of the issue. I have 20 tomato plants and they are all doing this. Some have bore fruit and others not. This is the third year my plants have ended up this way. I'm not so much worried about correcting this years plants but would like to know how to prevent them from going this way next year. Love gardening but not with the turnouts I have had the last couple years. Thank you much for your input.

• JadeM4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have sprayed roundup in a ditch full of sandburs but a pretty good distance to the north of my garden. Is this something that can happen even if the plant gets a wiff of it? I have been careful to watch for pests to be eating on them and have not seen any. The plants started out with the bumps then Crack open. I do have a mole problem in my garden and have wondered if that's not part of the issue. I have 20 tomato plants and they are all doing this. Some have bore fruit and others not. This is the third year my plants have ended up this way. I'm not so much worried about correcting this years plants but would like to know how to prevent them from going this way next year. Love gardening but not with the turnouts I have had the last couple years. Thank you much for your input.

{{!gwi}}

• JadeM4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I've had warty stems in the past and it didn't seem to affect production too much. It's the damaged/brown areas in the first photo that seem to be the real problem. The second photo with the warts and fruit is similar to what I had, and that plant looks much better. The first plant looks really sick and I'd probably remove it. Not sure what causes the warts, and I'd like to know also.

• Bets
    10 years ago

Tomatoes are highly susceptible to herbicide drift and it can carry up to a half-mile even on a (mostly) still day. A faint breeze is all it takes.

However, you said: "This is the third year my plants have ended up this way." Which makes me think it is not the roundup, or at least that is not the only problem. I don't know what it is, but you might want to take a look at the link below.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU Disorders of Tomatoes Stems

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Knobby stems may be the result of root initials. Seldom, if ever a problem for the plant.

Stem knobiness can also be due to a whiff of 2,4-D or other broadleaf herbicides of the same group. That said, I don't see the damage that often shows up on the leaves at the same time.

Compost contaminated with long-lasting herbicides such as clopyralid can cause similar symptoms.

Tomatoes are also sensitive to Roundup but the symptoms are different. The new growth at the tips becomes bright yellow.

I don't see any evidence the stem has been chewed.

Any chance of posting more images?
    - view of several plants in a row
    - view of one entire plant

This post was edited by jean001a on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 20:46

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Jade,

Are you using any manure in your garden? Sometimes farmers spray their hay with a broad-leaf herbicide, the cows eat the hay, and the herbicide is not completely deactivated and remains in the manure. I have read that it can be quite a problem if we buy this manure and plant vegetables in it!

Linda