Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato hygiene

Posted by tishtoshnm 6/NM (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 12:32

Good day! Some of my tomato plants were definitely sick, but I am not sure with what exactly. Their color was dull/yellowish, they were producing almost nothing. I tried to look for certain spots on the leaves to help me know exactly what was going on but little luck. I pulled them and threw them away but I am curious if in the future if pathogens can be spread by the gloves I used when handling the tomatoes?

Question 2, some of these were staked with bamboo. Is it possible that the pathogen could attach to the parts of the bamboo that were in the ground? I want to know if I need to cut off those portions or throw out the entire piece of bamboo. Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato hygiene

I'd be more concerned about the soil then anything else. You'll want to plant elsewhere for a couple of years if indeed your plants were diseased.

o

If the plants were surely diseased, I would pull all the bamboo supports and toss them, but if you can't or don't want to toss them, you can soak them in a dilute bleach solution to try to sterilize them. Then I would pull all the plants and clean up as much of the fruit / plant debris as I could find, bag it up (plastic trash bags) and put it to the curb for pickup.

That said, in general, I'm not a huge "garden hygiene" fan. When you know the plants were diseased and you don't know what it was, it's best to exercise caution because certain pathogens can survive in dead or rotting plant tissue - so the less you have lying around the better. In cases where the plants were not diseased, I'm not so particular with clean-up. I'll clear the garden enough that I can get through it - get the bulk of the dead top growth and then I'll mulch over top of the rest.

If the pathogen is a soil borne disease, moving your garden probably won't help unless you can really put some significant distance between the old and the new; and even then, it's possible it could be spread by simply tracking it around on your shoes. If the pathogen was wind borne, it'll probably just come back next year anyways.

o

Thank you for the help. I will definitely be rotating the tomatoes and have disposed of the ones suspected to be diseased.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here