Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are sun golds cherry tom seed saveable

Posted by michelliot z7 ny (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 12:48

Can't believe the productivity of these babies. Planted way too many for my small family. Had to make a couple of gallons of sauce now stashed away in the freezer.

I'd love to grow them again next year, but i have a feeling that the seeds are not viable for next year. Please tell me i'm incorrect.

Thanks and be well,
elliot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are sun golds cherry tom seed saveable

They will grow tomatoes, but they will likley not be sun golds.

CH

o

Agree with CH.

Saved seeds are quite viable but since Sungold is an F1 hybrid what you might get could be red or orange or gold, as others have, but won't have the same taste nor unique scent of the foliage.

There are a couple of open pollinated (OP) Sungolds but I think most would say that while they might be close they aren't the same. Reinhard Kraft in Germany developed those two and continues to work with Sungold F1 in several ways.

Carolyn

o

If you puchased these seeds,the seeds remaining in the pack will be viable for many years if stored proper.

If you save seeds from the toms you grew they may not grow out to the same plants you have now .But still are viable.

VIABLE means "(of a seed or spore) Able to germinate."

o

I really don't have the room to experiment, just hoping for an identical harvest as this year. Maybe one of the nurseries will have them again next year.

Carolyn, you mentioned the aroma of the plant; I think the mosquitoes are attracted to them as well. When I'm picking these babies, I'm getting swarmed by the little beggers. Very uncomfortable. Another home in the neighborhood gets visited by my wife doing homecare and when she works with her patients outside the same thing happens to her. There's a sungold plant near her as well.

They are tasty though. (the tomatoes that is)

Speak to ya,
elliot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here