Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Money Maker, Delicious and Italian Market Wonder

newyorkrita
11 years ago

Already started buying seeds and looking into tomato varieties to grow next year. Three varieties I am considering are Money Maker, Delicious and Italian Market Wonder.

I have found all three at Gourmet Seed (gourmetseed.com). All sound really great in their descriptions.

Any advice or comments from anyone growing any of these? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    11 years ago

Delicious is not. At all.
    A horrible waste of a great name.

Carla in Sac

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

I also am curious to other opinions of Delicious Tomato ,as my seedling for them died.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Here's my initial response to Rita as cut and pasted from elsewhere, and includes my opinion of the variety Delicious as well.

%%%%%%%

(Rita, I've grown:

Moneymaker and wouldn't grow it again. It's an English variety, that was bred in England for greenhouse growing many years ago and has that aggressive somewhat tart taste that almost all of the English like. There are other varieties, all English ones, that are about the same.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les;&gs_nf=1&cp=12&gs_id...

I'd prefer to link to Tania's page but right now it seems down, so this general Google search will have to suffice.

Delicious, which I don't find to be delicious, is still the current world record holder for weight at at 7 # 12 oz, which I think is its main claim to fame. However, folks growing it without using the tricks that those who grow for competitions seldom get over a pound.

Market Wonder I've not grown. ( see correction in my above post here)

Just my opinion but I think there are many hundreds of large red beefsteak varieties I'd grow before I'd ever grow Delicious or ANY of the English varieties again.

Carolyn ( who deleted here something she wrote about trading seeds vs buying them since trading seeds had been discussed in the thread)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Carla and Carolyn. Delicious is off the list of possibles and I will not be ordering it. The other two I am still considering.

• grow4free
    11 years ago

Moneymaker is very productive and will crank out lots of smaller tomatoes as well as some larger ones. It is also a very juicy tomato which turns some people off. It's not for everybody.

• Mokinu
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I grew Market Wonder this year. The plants are quite indeterminate and regular leaf. The fruit is red and medium-sized. It's has sort of a Brandywinish kind of flavor, I think (I could be wrong, since my Brandywine variety might not be Brandywine after all), but it's probably firmer and somewhat different. I liked it. The one other person here who tried it liked it. It wasn't heat-tolerant, except that one tomato set in the heat (I saved seeds from that one). The plants indoors were prone to edema and/or downy mildew, except a couple of them fared better than the rest (and those are the ones I transplanted. The plants are quite drought-tolerant, it seems. They grow vigorously even in poor, dry soil where Cherokee Purple, Gardener's Delight, and Kellogg's Breakfast hardly grew at all. (Note: Not all of our soil was like this soil. This was on a mound.) Even Market Wonder suffered in this soil, eventually, but at least it grew vigorously for a good while, and set more fruits than those others. My seed source was wintersown.org (fall, 2014). It may do well in containers, since it was one of the more successful tomatoes in a crowded raised bed.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor