Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Money Maker, Delicious and Italian Market Wonder

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 13:10

Already started buying seeds and looking into tomato varieties to grow next year. Three varieties I am considering are Money Maker, Delicious and Italian Market Wonder.

I have found all three at Gourmet Seed (gourmetseed.com). All sound really great in their descriptions.

Any advice or comments from anyone growing any of these? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Money Maker, Delicious and Italian Market Wonder

Rita, I answered you elsewhere so you can cut and paste if you want to or wait and see what others say here and then I might feel like cutting and pasting

I think at the other site you said just Market Wonder, maybe mentioned Italian Market Wonder and I said I hadn't grown Market Wonder but as I watched some tennis I realized I had but with it's proper name of:

Merveille des Marches, which is an old French variety.

After doing a lot of Googling it turns out that someone put the name Italian in front of Market Wonder and the two are the same and if you read at various seed sites you'll also see that the blurbs/pictures are the same as well.

And where the Italian one is listed no history is given although the history of the French one is at several places.

Carolyn

o

Thanks, Carolyn.

o

Delicious is not. At all.
A horrible waste of a great name.

Carla in Sac

o

I also am curious to other opinions of Delicious Tomato ,as my seedling for them died.

o

Here's my initial response to Rita as cut and pasted from elsewhere, and includes my opinion of the variety Delicious as well.

%%%%%%%

(Rita, I've grown:

Moneymaker and wouldn't grow it again. It's an English variety, that was bred in England for greenhouse growing many years ago and has that aggressive somewhat tart taste that almost all of the English like. There are other varieties, all English ones, that are about the same.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les;&gs_nf=1&cp=12&gs_id...

I'd prefer to link to Tania's page but right now it seems down, so this general Google search will have to suffice.

Delicious, which I don't find to be delicious, is still the current world record holder for weight at at 7 # 12 oz, which I think is its main claim to fame. However, folks growing it without using the tricks that those who grow for competitions seldom get over a pound.

Market Wonder I've not grown. ( see correction in my above post here)

Just my opinion but I think there are many hundreds of large red beefsteak varieties I'd grow before I'd ever grow Delicious or ANY of the English varieties again.

Carolyn ( who deleted here something she wrote about trading seeds vs buying them since trading seeds had been discussed in the thread)

o

Thanks Carla and Carolyn. Delicious is off the list of possibles and I will not be ordering it. The other two I am still considering.

o

Moneymaker is very productive and will crank out lots of smaller tomatoes as well as some larger ones. It is also a very juicy tomato which turns some people off. It's not for everybody.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here