Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsheets_gw

Stump Of The World - Wild Variation??

tsheets
11 years ago

Hi all,

I am growing Stump of the World for the first time this year. In the attached picture is one that I picked from my garden (the red one), and a couple (yellow / pale) from the GF's garden (I started all the seeds).

Is this normal???? I did not expect this much variation!!

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

What you show is not normal at all. Below I've linked to the Stump of the World page at Tania's data base so you can see what it should be. The variety is completely genetically stable.

Clearly you received crossed seeds and/or crossed seeds with some stray seeds thrown in, and it would be interesting to know what the source of your seeds was, either purchased and if so where if you feel comfortable about that or via a trade.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Stump of the World

• tsheets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Carolyn! I purchased the seeds from tomatogrowers.com
    must have been a fluke. I have 2 plants that are producing red / pinkish fruit. I was very surprised when she brought the pale yellow ones over. :-)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I know Linda Sapp at TGS very well and I've never known TGS to send out seeds like that so I think there must be a goof up somewhere with maybe your labels?

The fruits should not be pinkish/red. The fruits ripen up gold and only then do you see that secondar color spreading upwards from the blossom end. There are very few bicolor varieties that end up ALL pinkish/red, Mary Robinson being one of them/

If you're sure all was well at your end with correct labels and all it might be a good idea to contact TGS and tell them what you got from a pack of their Stump of the World seeds, b'c it's only by feedback that errors can be looked into.

But considering the fact that you got pure yellows and reds as well, that's kind of hard to reconcile with tomato genetics b'c red is always domininant to yellow, white, etc.

Heck, if you like what you got why not save some F2 seeds and take it from there for it could be lots of fun if you have the space to do that. ( smile)

Carolyn

• tsheets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm nearly 100% certain there wasn't a mixup with labels. In any case, nothing else I'm growing is even close to yellow. :-) I've got Druzba, Stump of the World, Indian Stripe, Bloody Butcher, and Stupice along with a couple paste tomatoes.

The yellow tomato was on the bland side, probably too much water as they're also huge!

I wasn't really upset about it, stuff happens; I was just curious if it was normal. There is a bit of pink towards the bottom of the yellow ones, and the red ones do have a yellow tint as they ripen from green, to yellow with pink, to mostly red. I only grew 4 of these seeds due to space issues.

I do appreciate the feedback - there's always something new to learn and exciting discoveries when gardening!

• noinwi
    11 years ago

"I know Linda Sapp at TGS very well and I've never known TGS to send out seeds like that so I think there must be a goof up somewhere with maybe your labels?"

Carolyn, it does happen occasionally. I've gotten a stray seed in the past from TGS. I only grow a small number of plants for DH and myself, so I know what I planted. I saved seed from my "stray" and still grow it because I like it, although I'll never know what it is, just that it is a pink slicer that came out of a packet of Persimmon seed. Just sayin' :)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I'm not saying that a stray seed couldn't appear in a pack of a known variety, sure it's happened in the packing, but in this case we've got a huge yellow and a smaller red, with apparently no plants showing the correct variety and it's just hard for me to understand how the stray seeds, one of each color could get into a pack.

Each year I do a seed offer and this past Jan I packed up 500 packs of seed to send to US folks as well as folks in other countries and when I pack seeds there are NO other varieties on the table top and I have to assume that those who still pack seeds manually use the same caution.

Fact is that now days very little seed packing is done manually by commercial seeds sites, at leastI think that's true. I know SSE has an automatic machine that does it, but I don't know about other seed sites.

One of the best stray seeds was found in a pack of the variety Pineapple by Majorie Morris of IN, and she ended up calling Orange Strawberry. She's also the person who sent me seeds for German Red Strawberry, a family heirloom, and some think the two are related in some way, but not true at all.

Carolyn

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!