Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gilgamesh8_gw

Diabetic Sunsugar

Gilgamesh8
10 years ago

Hello All!!

Been a long time stalker of forum posts. Thought that I should come out of hiding and post my problem.

I am a new gardener. And I am in zone 4. The summer here has been as odd as Keanu Reeve's acting skills. It is still somewhere in the 70s as I write. But my constant affection has ensured a nice garden. Plenty of cabbages, eggplants and peppers and tomatoes thus far. Compost, compost tea and constant staring at the plants have helped me out a bit I would say.

BUT, my supposed FT resistant Sunsugar is showing signs of sadness, specially during daytime. It has been growing well; right now it is around 5 and half feet tall and 3-4 feet wide. But for the last few days the top is showing signs of wilting, during daytime. The days are not hot at all; temp has not touched 90s, in fact it is hardly touching 80s. After researching through the forum posts, one would assume that mid-summer Fusarium Wilt might be the cause. But again, it is F resistant. The wilting is not there in the evenings and also during cloudy days. It has a lot of flowers up there on the stem and they look good.

I had a walnut tree in the yard which I took down. But all the tomatoes are doing just fine; in fact this one is the farthest from the tree. I have a few tomatoes that are planted extremely close to the walnut remains and they are fine.

No signs of any pest damage; my constant staring and my mighty wasp army have kept the bugs away from the tomatoes (the brassicas are a different story but the wasps have kept their war on against the caterpillars).

I was just wondering whether someone can point me to the right direction. Is it too late in the season for V wilt? Can a resistant tomato still get stressed by F wilt? Walnut problem? But then again, the other tomatoes are just fine and this one is the farthest away. Aliens maybe?

Cheers,
Gilgamesh

Comments (7)