Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorna1949_gw

pepper tomotoes

Lorna1949
10 years ago

hi here is a picture of a pepper tomato this is my second year growing them there is not much seed inside more pulp great for making tomatoes sauce

Comments (7)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Looks and sounds great, Lorna.
    Especially the less seeds, more meat part. I have to try it. What is its DTM?
    I also like unusual shapes, a change from the perfectly rounds. I find all those so-called cat faced maters amusing.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

What is the name of the variety Lorna?

There are several varieties that have that shape and size but I have never heard of one named "Pepper" except for Pepper Doochova and those don't look like it. Nothing else comes up on Google. Where did you find the seeds?

Dave

• Lorna1949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also just check the net and did not find any hmm 2 years ago the net was full of sites with them now cannot seem to find any
    here is another picture of the inside of them if anyone find a site please let us know I got the seed from a friend he gave me about 8 pepper tomatoes and found about 8 seeds right now I have 12 plants and lots of pepper tomatoes took some more pictures today I wonder if there is a place where I can post a picture of them and ask for sites that sell them?

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Lorna, without a specific variety name there's no way you can find a site that sells them, there have to be well over 100 plus long red varieties that look just like what you show.

Would it be possible to ask your friend who gave you the seeds where she or he got the seeds from and any other background information ?.

There are long red ones from many different countries in Europe as well as many that originated here in the US, most brought to the US by immigrants from elsewhere, they had no name, so someone named them.

Carolyn

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Yeah I suspect "pepper" is just a name someone made up along the way given the appearance. There many pointy-shaped, long paste tomatoes that you can check out. But it is still basically just a paste tomato, ok for thickening sauce but not necessarily the best flavored sauce.

Kind of looks like Super Marzano or Super Italian Paste, both hybrids but no way to know for sure.

Dave

• Lorna1949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi my Son and Daughter come over and we make over 100 32oz jars of tomatoes sauce we do it in the middle of sept
    there really is no different in taste we buy 3 bushels of Marzano tomatoes I make about one bushel from the garden what I call pepper tomatoes but because they are bigger they give more sauce and they are cheaper lol

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Yeah the thing with sauce (if you pull up the many previous sauce discussions here and over on the Harvest preserving forum) is that far far better sauce results from using a mixture of varieties and types rather than just paste tomatoes - any paste tomato.

Contrary to popular belief, no where is it written that one must use only paste tomatoes to make sauce. And very few paste tomatoes are noted for their flavor to begin with. Especially so when compared to the flavor of slicers and hearts. So if the tomato lacks flavor so will the sauce.

Like you we can quarts and quarts of tomato sauce each year but paste types are only about 1/4 of the tomatoes that go into it.

Dave