Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Black Krim Cross with 4th?

thebutcher
10 years ago

I know this is probably not possible and was answered before from a master but I almost swear that my tomatoes crossed. The photo above shows what should be (black krim, the small one lol I know it does not look like it but came off the plant and alot are like that). And the 4th of July plant right next to it always touching put out the black Krim shapped which turned out bright red. The other one is a normal 4th from another plant on the other side. It could be that the seeds were not from a reliable source and that is probably what happend but I am scratching my head. Also I saved some seeds of this. Both are real good.

I used an electric toothbrush to pollinate both at the same time and really got up the petals, I was stupid I read not to touch them but on top. So is this possible?

So far I have about 8 of the small global krims and let me say that they are tasty. I am still waiting to taste a real Black Krim. Also to note the width of the large red one is about 2 1/2 inches, the weird shaped one was a little more then 3 inches wide.

Thanks again all,
-Mr Beno

Comments (6)

• Bets
    10 years ago

If your plants crossed, it would not show in this years fruit, but in the fruit from seed saved from this years fruit. In other words, you would have fruit that looked like normal fruit from the parent plant this year, but plants from crossed seeds would not show a difference in fruit until next year, and they might show several different types of fruit if the cross was not stable (on several different plants, one type per plant). Stabilizing a hybrid can take several generations.

The center tomato looks like Black Krim, but small. They can vary in size according to growing conditions. If the one on the left is from the same plant, it looks like you have a case of cat facing, which happens when pollination occurs at low temperatures.

Betsy

corrected spelling and phrasing

This post was edited by bets on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 15:25

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The only way it would be possible to get 2 very different fruit off the same vine is

a) you planted an F2 4th cross pollinated by BK seed. The odds of getting a cross pollinated seed from a BK-4th is very slim unless grown from seeds you saved from last year. Possible I suppose, but about the same for winning the lottery. :)

b) somewhere in the jungle of the plants are two stems (one for each) that are either intertwined or fused together so that the different fruit only "appear" to be coming off the same plant.

Short of a miracle that defies all the laws of nature and genetics (or a National Inquirer article), it is not physically possible for cross pollination to appear in the first generation of fruit, only in later generations grown from saved seeds.

Dave

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many Thanks Bets, I posted a photo of the salad I made with those tomatoes. I was just confused because they both were not right and was checking out cross breading peppers the other day.

This is my old ladies recipe that the photo shows. I am sure it is common and simple recipe but for all the time you masters help with my questions I want to help try to pay back. The trick is to put the appropriate amount of garlic/basil/oil ratio to tomato taste.

- olive oil (a tad bit more as you would put in salad)
    - 2 cloves of garlic finly chopped
    - dash of salt to taste
    - 2 choped up basil leafs
    - and the tomatoes.

I can't wait til my Kelloggs Beefsteak matures for this so I can mix all the varieties together. The first buds just starting to come out.

Edit: Thanks again Dave I posted this before I saw yours and I remember about the other topic of the Ramapo and 4th. You guys are the best :)

Also to note the seeds were from a generic seed company with a printed label. Next year I will go namebrand labels.

This post was edited by thebutcher on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 15:25

• Bets
    10 years ago

Gosh! I am so hungry now and that looks sooooooo gooood! And I already ate my two ripe Black Cherry tomatoes, :-(

Betsy

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Dang that looks fine!! Just the thing to go with the grilled pork ribs planned for dinner tonight.

I'd want a twist or 2 of fresh ground pepper on top but then I'm a ground pepper lover.

Ever tried it with some shaved fresh parmesan on top?

Dave

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks both of you and thanks again for the support. Parmesan is great on top as well, and another great thing is fresh Mozzerella. I will show you some awesome Italian stuff to do with tomatoes soon. I got to go away on another trip but will be back in a few days and get some more nice photos. I will also have the old lady do a youtube of the old fashion italian recipes with tomatoes.

Also remember you may need to adjust the garlic basil ratio to your taste along with salt.

- Mr Beno