Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identifying this yummy tomato

Posted by yankeekate 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 14:07

I bought these tomato plants as seedlings from a gentleman who said they were a German tomato called "Bosco". I love their shape (like a pepper) plus they are meaty, few seeds, delicious, and are great for making sauce. I can't find any info on a "Bosco" tomato. Any help out there? I'd like to grow these again next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identifying this yummy tomato

Save some of the seeds?

CH

o

yes , I intend on saving seeds, but I'd like to identify what kind it is.

o

It sure looks like a paste tomato and probably is, but I googled it, checked Ventmarin in France which covers most European OP varieties, checked a couple of SSE YEarbooks and also checked Tania's website as well.

And nothing.

When one enters Bosco at Google, as in Bosco tomato, there's nothing, but the word Bosco is used in descriptions of restaurants named Bosco, and the like all associated with something Italian.

There aren't too many German varieties I know of that are paste tomatoes of that shape and that slender. Howard German is one that I remember, and that's about it and that one is fatter than what you show.

Perhaps there's a reason why this person gave it an Italian name. Do you think you could find him again and ask more about what he called Bosco?

And perhaps wait to share seeds with others until you know what it might be called, as in already known by another name? I hate to see varieties renamed if they already have a name and Bosco could also be a local variety that he got seeds from somewhere, who knows. ( wink)

And I do hate to say it but it has been known that some4 vendors selling plants or fruits at Farmer's markets and the like do change the names of varieties to indicate they have something exclusive. I'm not saying he did it, I'm just saying that it's known to occur.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here