Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Preventing birds.

thebutcher
10 years ago

I know this has been covered before but want to get other oppinions on how to prevent this, it is getting worse everyday and don't want to waste anytime :) . This was one smart bird and the same bird I have been chasing away this whole summer. He bit right into the blush. I say he is smart because he has a team of pests and makes noise when I walk out or one of his partners in crime. The war has now begun bird. :)

It is funny he lives in the tree across my yard and is rather large and every time I walk out I see him sitting on my fence. with his freinds. Does anyone have any good quick remedies? I read on a bunch of posts but not sure what is best that worked for anyone recently? I also bet putting pequins and charapita's in my yard would not help the matter.

Thanks all,

-Mr Beno

Comments (8)

• ABlindHog
    10 years ago

I find a 20 gauge over and under shotgun to be both effective and satisfying,
    but for full time protection I have settled for bird netting.

• fireduck
    10 years ago

I fly reflective bird tape above my trees and tomatoes. Birds do not like things fluttering above their heads. Effective for me....If you are sure it is only one bird....that bird would disappear.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks both of you, I think I will buy that bird netting and the tape. I hope to get this bird and his croanies on my GoPro when I set it out after the battery is done charging to see. Then purchase that stuff. In the meantime bringing them maters in when i notice color break.

Let the games begin and I will hope to supply video of it keeping a look out this weeknd. Many thanks again.

- Mr Beno

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Of course there are different kind of birds.And most of them are smart(lol).
    I experienced few cases of bird damage early On. Then I placed a container of water, in the shade under the maters. No more bird damage. It could be just coincidental. I am not sure.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks seysonn, this morning, I saw about 6 of them sitting ont he ledge and flying around had to chase them away. I just put the water container out gona set up my camera again to keep a look out. Also gona buy the netting at least it would be good for the peppers and easy to set up. I am also gona look into relfective tape. In the meantime I heard cd's hanging from twine helps somewhat or at least the person on youtube said. I am willing to try anything.

Thanks again all,

- Mr Beno

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks seysonn, this morning, I saw about 6 of them sitting ont he ledge and flying around had to chase them away. I just put the water container out gona set up my camera again to keep a look out. Also gona buy the netting at least it would be good for the peppers and easy to set up. I am also gona look into relfective tape. In the meantime I heard cd's hanging from twine helps somewhat or at least the person on youtube said. I am willing to try anything.

Thanks again all,

- Mr Beno

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for double post but here is the evidence of them birds. I taped a few hours of it but this video is only about 17 minutes long. The sound is kind of dull because my GoPro camera had the the full housing on it.

Sorry for lack of music and sound but thought it was interesting when I placed them CD's up and awaiting the bird netting ect... The camera was rolling with out anyone on it, just placed next to one of my other plants for a few hours.

Thanks again all,

- Mr Beno

Here is a link that might be useful: Watch them birds fly near my garden

This post was edited by thebutcher on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 19:30

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No luck this time but this can be a good thing. The battery cut out after 40 min and no birds, it should of lasted for about 2 hours but I forgot to charge it all the way. Anyway I made this out of a red cup with ductape and put my trusty old Gopro up. I was trying to think that the birds would fly around the red cup

Tomorrow I will do the other direction and make it spin more. Knock on wood though no new pecks in the new maters I pulled off today, so maybe those CD's are really helping a lot? lol

Edit: on Bird net, I jut got it today and will do it in a few days for added protection. So now I got the water pan out, CD's reflecting and gona try to find that reflective tape as well.

This post was edited by thebutcher on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 19:07

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio