Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RE: question about the Neem Recipe

Posted by billgill Atlanta 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 14:09

Hello. Some time back I got this recipe from Tapla about using neem [thanks, Tapla]:

Start with a pint of very hot water in a 1 qt spritzer bottle. Then add a tsp of cold-pressed, pure neem oil and few drops of Murphy's Oil Soap (or non-antibacterial dishsoap). Shake well. Add a pint of 70% rubbing alcohol. Shake again and spritz. Make sure to cover all surfaces, especially the underside of leaves and leaf axils (crotches). Shake frequently to keep the blend emulsified. Spray at 2 week intervals. Use it all or discard any remaining when you've finished spraying.

I've seen numerous formulas suggesting Neem, with warm water and detergent soap. No alcohol.

Any ideas about what the alcohol adds to the formula? Kills the bugs maybe with the Neem acting long term..?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RE: question about the Neem Recipe

Where do you get cold pressed neem oil?

o

ummm.. got 1 pint Green Light from a nursery in Atlanta, a couple of years ago

o

In the absence of actual study data, I follow the directions on the bottle. Green Light is perfectly capable of optimizing their mix to give the best results.

Great that people are experimenting around with the mix though and "cold pressed neem" may require a different procedure than processed and marketed products like Green Light.

o

"Any ideas about what the alcohol adds to the formula?"

From a quick search, the active ingredient in neem oil Azadirachtin is highly soluable in alcohol, so I think the alcohol may be used as a solubilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here