Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rookie needs some help diagnosing problem

Posted by koalb01 01824 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 14:15

Can anyone tell me what's causing the leaves on my Mr. Stripey to turn yellow like this and what I can do about it?

Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rookie needs some help diagnosing problem

I'm thinking blight. Mr Stripey is an heirloom and going to be susceptible to every disease there is. I had a frustrating experience with it this year, and it's one of the very few I won't grow again.

If it is blight, you can clip the dead leaves and spray the plant with a fungicide like daconil. That will help to slow the spread of the disease to the leaves that are still green.

o

Thanks. I've heard that neem oil helps keep blight under control. True or not?

o

not

o

The neem oil is for mites. If that is blight, you need a fungicide, like Daconil, Copper, or Sulphur. If you don't want to use any chemicals, you can try a 20% milk and water mixture or hydrogen peroxide.

o

Umm, milk, water and hydrogen peroxide are all chemicals.

o

Blight is a general word that many use to describe a sick tomato plant but it's best to be able to ID the specific disease involved if one can.

First, I Don't know where you live which would help narrow down the possibilities.

If it's a foliage disease I'm just noting that there are no varieties, hybrid or OP, that are tolerant of the common foliage diseases, but I don't see any spots on the leaves that would indicate that so please do note if you see any such leaf spots and if so please describe as to size and color and shape and if there are any yellow halos around them. Also if there are any dark colored areas on the stems.

If it's a systemic soilborne disease, such as Fusarium or Verticillium or several others, again, it depends on where you are in a geographic sense, then there's nothing to be done at this point.Even with hybrids that have tolerance to some of the soilborne diseases all it means is a week or so more of growth before the plants go down. There is no such thing as total resistance to soilborne diseases, and the genes that are bred into many hybrids are of best use to large scale commercial farmers who base when they harvest on Brix levels, which is a measure of soluble sugars and the extra few days that tolerance brings can allow for those Brix levels to reach the right level.

It would also help to know if you're growing other tomato plants and if they all have the same symptoms.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here