Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How's the weather ?

Posted by Daniel_NY 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 14:28

Long Island (NY), blue sky, 80' F. Humidity, 60%.

Nice !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How's the weather ?

Sammamish, WA ;
77F, sunny, R. humidity 45%; tonight's low 55F.

Same, next two days. Then going to 80s.

o

68' F here tonight.

seysonn, your tomatoes will not like very much 55' F...

o

Daniel, more than 90% of our night lows in July and August had been in 50s. even when the day highs were in mid to upper 80s. I would says 56F being a good median.
The thing is that the lows (+ 2 degrees) last no more than 2 -4 hour at the most. just an example scenario .

8 PM: 82F: 9pm 81F; 10pm 79F, 11pm 76F; 12pm 73F; 1am 70F; 2am 67F; 3am 64F; 4am 61F, 5am 58F, 6am 58F; 7am 60F, 8am 62F, 9an 65F ..(bouncing up)..

so in reality there were 4 hours when lows were between 58 and 60F, not all night long. And that was the air temperatures. The soil and plants' body temperature did no go down that far.

o

Should be good tomato-ripening weather here next week. Some rain maybe today and tomorrow (we haven't had any since last Wed's monsoon), but then highs around 80 all week, lows mostly in the high 50's, maybe a couple of nights low 50's (we've had a night or two each week around 52-54 all month).

We're same as seysonn - I can't wait until nights are over 50 to transplant, that could be late June, and usually mid-August they're back down in the mid 50's, though this year we also had 1 night each week in July down in the mid-50's. We didn't have many days in the 90's this year, and none over 100. In fact, we had a lot of days in the 70's back in July, as well as a little more rain than usual. Unfortunately most of it was coming an inch at a time - have to see if that's what's going to happen tomorrow. Getting tired of flash flood watches, broken tomato stems, washed-out seeds (I'm waiting until the weekend to seed more kale, some spinach, lettuce).

o

I can't wait until nights are over 50 to transplant, that could be late June, and usually mid-August
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Yeah. If i had to wait til night lows get over 50F, I had to wait until mid July. But I started picking from July 8th on. After I planted we had many night in 38F to 42F. and mostly in mid 40s, in April, May and good part of June. Just a real example. Our tonight's low is 54F but day high will be 75F. I am picking one basket of tomatoes every other day out of my 20 or so plants. I believe that plants have intelligence too and can learn how to cope/ acclimate to some degree. And my plants are not stunted or any thing. They are as healthy and as vigorous as can be.

o

You also started them out under cover. I'm going to grow mine under plastic (well, maybe not all summer, have to see how hot it gets with just passive venting, no fan, in the tunnel) next year. I don't think I'm going to grow any tomatoes or peppers in the field next year, rotate into something not in the nightshade family (maybe LOTS of beans, though I hate growing pole beans on the fence b/c the deer eat the foliage on the outside).

I've been lucky, no disease on the plants in the (uncovered) tunnel this year, I hope next year starting with plastic on doesn't cause a problem with septoria etc.

o

Looking good in Long Island (NY)

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 10:15

o

Actually I trust very little the forecast.

Let me give you an example:

Monday May 12, 2014, the forecast said that the ENTIRE WEEK will… rain !

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 10:27

o

I was very skeptic looking at the radar map, but…

[ Those green - rain - clouds were going to... Canada. ]

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 10:36

o

Now, out of the 8 CONSECUTIVE days of raining - according to the weather forecast - only ONE DAY it rained: Friday. One day out of eight, is not exactly a reliable forecast, imho...

o

So what I do now - as I always did - is checking the radar map.

"Pan & zoom" to my area, press “Play Animation” and if rain clouds are coming, it will rain, if no clouds, it will be sunny. How simple is that ?

Now, it's also true that a thunderstorm can form in half an hour, but that's pretty rare in my area. In other areas - mid-west - it happens every other day, tornadoes and all.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 10:39

o

We're hot and sticky this week. First time all summer, I think! I finally have about 1/2 of my dining room table covered in 'maters in various states of ripening (not including the ones we've already eaten!) Still have lots and lots that haven't started to turn yet, but that's OK. I'd like to see bigger later than smaller now. So maybe this weather will kick-start them. Except that it has already kick-started EB and Septoria in spite of repeated Daconil usage :(
Edie

o

Edie, did you start using Daconil from day one ?

Did you spray regularly ?

How often did you spray ?

What dosage ?

o

Yep, from day of set-out.
Once a week or more often if it rains.
I don't measure, I just spray until I have hit as many leaves as I can on each plant.
Fortunately, the EB/Septoria stuff is just starting so I should be able to keep it under some control. I can tell you this, before I started reading on this forum and found out what to do, we would lose everything regularly by the beginning of September!
Edie

o

I use weather channel (weather.com). It is pretty accurate. Of course in a 10 day forecast sometimes they can be wrong.
here is my forecast.

Night low temps are typical all summer here ; mostly on 50s

o

Of course in a 10 day forecast sometimes they can be wrong.

Of course, but ONLY 1 rainy day out of 8 forecasted, it is too much wrong, IMO.

Edie, it's pretty strange that the powerful Daconil was not able to avoid Early Blight and Septoria. I'm wondering how it will fight LATE Blight - if you're unlucky...

Spray one time Copper. See if things are getting better.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 13:06

o

Central Texas is the usual triple H.

Hot (highs of 100 or close to it. Lows of 75 or so. Heat Index Values of well over 105)

Humid (60% or so for the most part.)

Horrid (Did I mention that it is hot, and humid. With a breeze that moves it the air a wee bit?)

In this area we are looking at probably at least two more weeks of this type of weather.

Sweet 100, and Yellow Pear are still producing, though not as much as they were.

o

Montreal has been weird. Last week lots of rain. And temps at night dropped to 53 F a few nights. But then it warms right pup and is quite humid again. Right now it's warm, high 70's. Before that, high temps, high humidity. I had a lot of blossom drop. I've been spraying serenade, and insecticidal soap. Hard to keep up. In the meantime, this is the first year my phlox doesn't have mildew. Go figure!

o

I'm surprised our weather has been about the same as Montreal's!

But they've revised the forecast. We got a little bit of rain (about 1/8" each night) the past 2 nights, I have to go out and check the main gardens, the house garden looks like that was enough. But now we're supposed to be near/over 90 most days next week, a little rain today maybe but nothing after that until late next week. I don't think it would do any good to water this weekend, I really should do it Tuesday or Wed but I don't want to be out there watering 500 plants by hand in 90-degree heat!

Of course Labor Day weekend is going to be rainy...

o

• Posted by Aniaj 7 NV/HZ 6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 14:35

Getting cooler here - low of 46F last night. Highs are usually upper 80s/low90s. Nice clear skies with plenty of sun and low RH. If only the wind wouldn't wreak such havoc...

Been picking Sungold, Large Red Cherry, Husky Red Cherry, and Indigo Rose since early August. Most of my Celebrity toms are just now starting to blush. I wish I could grow some larger varieties but the season in my foothills is kind of short and subject to crazy wind.

The first 10 days of August were unusually rainy & overcast (normally northern NV doesn't get the monsoonal patterns common in Las Vegas and Arizona). It was a nice change from a July of record heat (for both high temps and duration).

I get my weather data from http://www.weather.gov/ . It has stations that are actually in my neighborhood and are thus more useful since most of the aps I've tried only pull data from the obs station in Reno proper, which is 10 miles away and in the more sheltered river valley.

o

We probably having one of the best summers here here in the PNW.

o

Days are shorter and nights are cooler...

o

Beautiful day today Sunday August 24, 2014 in Long Island (NY). Blue sky and hopefully the temperature will reach 80’ F. Forecast says 77’ F. Right now, 8 am, temp is 67’ F.

According to the radar map it is / will be nice today, all over America.

o

Sam here, in North Seattle area. Currently (11:39 local) it is 72F. Forecast calls for 81F. We should have more of the same for a week, when cool front move in, bringing temps down to 52F to 72F range, with rain and clouds. .

o

Again, a gorgeous day here in Long Island (NY) and most of the US. Forecast today Monday, 84' F !!!

YAY !

Tomorrow Tuesday... 90' F !!!!

Oh là là !

o

We need rain!

o

I LOVE my drip irrigation. It can take HOURS to water manually a garden.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:19

o

To have drip irrigation you either need a pump or enough gravity flow to make it the length of the row. I have neither out back. But it MAY rain tomorrow night (fingers crossed)!

o

I have an outside tap and a garden hose. Plus the drip system: emitters, water filter, backflow preventer, timer...

o

Just 2 cents of warning to the lovers of drip irrigation- it was not developed for regular gardens. So if one is trying to grow plants while caring to develop soil biology, it is a poor move as patches of soil that do not get water are not going to have healthy microbes there which will of course lead to pest and fungi/bacteria problems and then short ride to plants getting more and more problems.
I am not talking about soaker hoses though.

o

You're talking about emitters ?

And what's a "regular garden" ?

What others think about drip irrigation ?

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 14:38

o

My main growing area is 1000ft from the house. No well, no electricity. I tried rain barrels (put in the back of the truck and filled from outside hose) and soaker hose but it couldn't make it to the end of 100ft row even when I parked on hill right outside the fence. So we water by hand.

I am going to reconfigure the soaker hoses (made for rain barrels) for the tunnel and try again but I may need a hand pump to get 65ft.

o

Today is one of the warmest days of summer, high reaching 87F. But 4 days from today, it will drop to 72F and lows to around 52F, plus rain and clouds. So September is going to start cooler.
So the thongs are going to shift to a lower gear here.

o

Forecast said 90' F for today Tuesday. High today was 87' F. NICE !!!

o

Ajsmama, are you familiar with work of Geoff Lawton on permaculture design? There are some really neat videos on his website, am wondering if it would be helpful to watch and see if any swales can be created to help with water supply? I am finding it very interesting, pity I did not learn it when I was creating my perennial garden...
Here in Chicago I have not found watering to be a problem, with initial black landscape fabric application and then heavy mulching I probably watered like 5 times for entire summer. My perennial garden in its 3rd year of not fertilized or watered...
Last two weeks were unusual for our August, first cold and rainy now humid hot and rainy. Interesting that tomatoes are looking great , lots of new lush growth, green tomatoes, all I have been doing is using my aerated compost tea. Loving it even if I am drowning in tomatoes.

o

88' F... YESSSSS

o

• Posted by planetes 7b (Cascadia - PNW) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 17:50

Honestly I'm glad our high temperatures here in western Washington are finally dipping back into the upper 60s/low 70s. My tomatoes like the heat but I can't stand it.

o

> Tomatoes grow best when the daytime temperature is between 65 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. They stop growing above 95 degrees Fahrenheit. (How Stuff Works)

> Researchers have found that the ideal ROOT temperature for tomatoes is 70°F.. (Hum Gardens)

Optimum tomato-growing temperature (GardenWeb)

o

Raised beds help with getting the soil warm early in the year but I think this summer was still too cold and wet. I still am waiting for ripe tomatoes from most of my plants. Think this one will ripen? I just picked it b/c it was very close to ground (I got the 1-pounder next to it too by mistake), thought I'd use it in a green tomato relish but then I noticed slight color. I have a ton (well, maybe a quarter ton) of these.

o

Long Island (NY) Friday August 29, 6 am: 62' F

Well...

Highest today 75 - 79' F (depending on the source.)

So, is summer.... gone ?

Any chance of an Indian Summer ?

ajsmama, 2 lbs... YAY !

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 7:28

o

81' F...

YAY !

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 19:03

o

It seems that summer is coming to an end, her in the PNW.
Today's hi = 71F, 30% chance of rain ; lo = 56F.
Same story for the next 5 days.
I have yet to pick ripe tomatoes from some of my plants, which will be zapped for sure.

sey

o

Friday August 29, 2014... Hot today all over the US of A.

* Light yellow… 60s
* Darker yellow… 70s
* Orange… 80s
* Red brick… 90s
* Pink… 100s

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 19:05

o

Probably the lowest temperature: Silver Plume, Colorado… 32’ F

o

Probably the highest temperature: Yuma Proving Ground, Arizona…112’ F.

o

10 Day Forecast for Long Island (NY.)

Too good to be true !

o

I have to haul water to the pole beans this morning. Tomatoes, peppers, even the carrots, tatsoi, bok choy, and 2nd planting of squash looked OK yesterday but the beans are wilting, leaves shriveling and some beans limp. At least the bush beans are over (and I'm afraid the limas are ready - wouldn't you know, market isn't until Wed).

Only 30-40% chance of T-storms here for Sun-Mon, and the heat returns so I'm sure Monday we will be hauling water for everything else - and no more rain for the rest of the week so next weekend repeat it all again...

This summer has been so strange - cool and rainy (though with a few really hot days) for most of June/July, and now we're having July weather in late Aug/Sept!

But Accuweather was saying we could have early frost? Of course, they predicted a cool-down this weekend.

o

We seem to be destined to have our temps in 50F to 72F range til Sept 4th. During all this period, it will be cloudy and rainy. Then highs going back up to low 80s and the sun shall shine.
I am not complaining. This is even better than normal around here, this time of the season.

o

75' F at 11 am and 77' F the highest today ?

Are you kidding me forecast ?

Today we might have at least 80' F, maybe 85' F or even more...

o

78' F highest today Saturday.

oooooook.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 19:50

o

90' F today Sunday here in Long Island (N.Y.)

Can't be happier !

I almost forgot the 15 min. shower.

o

Hot and sticky today but TWC says it was only 84 (it didn't feel like 90). I never looked. And it's RAINING now! Yeah!!!!

It's going to be around 90 for the next 2 days though. My dad says he has zero ripe tomatoes - I gave him a couple of SS100 plants and I think 2 Best Boy but he didn't plant them until almost mid-June since he was busy and now he says they're dying. I gave him 3 Cosmonaut Volkov and a pint of cherry tomatoes (mostly SS100 but some Sungold - he tried those and liked them). My Best Boys aren't ripe yet either but I planted those later than everything else. But I have 2 ripe Gardener's Delight and 3 ripe Latah on the plants I threw into the house garden on June 30 - Latah in the tunnel planted earlier and they're not ripe yet.

o

I know how it feels like not being able to pick a ripe tomato from a plant by September. I have about 3 of them. This is despite the fact that we've had nice weather in July and August. But the rest of them (about 15 varieties) have been producing ripe fruits starting mid July.
Now comes September, and our average HIGHs droping by ~ 8F. AND our rain season starting little by little. We have strange fall weather , unlike the weather in New England area.
So weather wise the best is over around here.

o

76' F at 7 am !!!

Monday, September 1.

What can I say ?

o

Long Island is Amazing. hehe
I have lived across the Long Island, by the sound in Fairfield County, CT for over a decade. Usually it is cooler in the summer near the sound than further inland like Danburry.

Anyway: Our high today will be 76F in the Sammamish, WA high grounds. Not bad

o

87' F the highest. PERFECT !

o

Monterrey, México... The weather is a bit hot, as usual

o

Monday September 1, 2014. Hot today all over the US of A.

* Light yellow… 60s
* Darker yellow… 70s
* Orange… 80s
* Red brick… 90s
* Pink… 100s

o

78' F at 6 am. WOW !

This Tuesday might be hot, VERY hot !!!

Maybe higher than the 90' F forecasted.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 6:43

o

Some temperature records might be broken today...

o

Some temperature records might be broken today.

%%%%%%%%%%
not around here, Daniel.
Today we are having the coolest temperature of this summer :68F. And tonight it will drop to 49F.

o

Long Island (NY) Tuesday September 2, 2014.

90' F, feels like 96' F.

Whew !!!

o

New York City, Tuesday September 2, 2014.

93' F, feels like 97' F.

WOW !!!

A kind of record ? Don't know yet...

o

Pretty hot today...

o

New York City, Tuesday September 2, 2014.

Highest 93' F, feels like 97' F.

The all-time record for New York City on Sept. 2 was set in 1953 and it was 102 degrees.

When New York Baked for 12 Sweltering Days.

o

Don't get me started !

o

Summer is coming back to our neck of wood;
Forecast is calling nice temps for the next 10 days, highs mostly in mid 80s F.

Snap Shot Across US of A.
At this early morning hours (1: 15 am Pacific Time, 4:15 EDT ), most of central, SC, SW is pretty warm.

Look at the temperature range : 43F way up north Idaho and 94F down in Arizona somewhere. A whopping 51F difference. The NE shore area and California are having the best night.

Here at the NW corner, we are having COOL night temps, as usual (~55F). But today it is going to get 78F.

o

> Look at the temperature range : 43F way up north Idaho and 94F down in Arizona somewhere. A whopping 51F difference.

Few days ago it was 32’ F in Silver Plume, Colorado, and 112’ F in Yuma, Arizona. A whopping… 80’ F !!! And there are ONLY 700 miles between the two places !!!!!

Anyway, it’s getting..."cooler." Well, cooler than 90' F - feels like 96' F. - 2 days ago…Today Thursday highest in Long Island (NY) will be 85’ F. Current temperature - 9 am - 72' F. NICE, NICE, NICE !

o

Nice Weather in LI, NY.
Here in Sammamish ,Washington , highs will be close to 78F.
In the coming days, some of that RED hot air, sitting on cntral US will swirled and blended into ours, getting ours highs near 90F. This should help ripening my tomatoes ESPECIALLY my hot peppers.

Daniel, right now, there isn't much to talked about gardening. So I guess weather is a better subject to talk about. hehe

Have a warm Sun shiny day !

o

seysonn, you STILL didn't post a RECENT picture of your "jungle"...

o

Daniel,

Today I will polish my phone camera and will find a nice view showing the most "Junglish" part of my garden. hehe

seysonn

EDIT: added a jungle picture
 photo jngl-1.jpg

you can see more in the "tomato jungle" thread.

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 23:38

o

seysonn, I posted a few pictures of one of my "jungles" in the Show off your tomato "jungle" ! thread.

Take a look, and tell me what you think.

o

• Posted by Aniaj 7 NV/HZ 6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 13:14

After all the drama of this summer, the weather has finally settled out. Nice sunny days, less wind to flatten stuff, and as long as the nights don't get too cool too fast, the tomatoes will keep ripening. It's nice not to have to worry about watering once (or twice) a day anymore. I've resolved that next year all the tomatoes will go in the 4'x8'x1' raised beds; container tomatoes are just too high maintenance without an irrigation system and I'd like to be able to plan trips in the summer that last for more than two days.

o

The weather is STILL nice all over the US of A, but I have a feeling that, when the cold is coming - which can be ANY day now - it will hit HARD.

I mean we will see 60s during the day, and 50s during the night, almost.... OVERNIGHT. 20-30' down.

I don't think the temperature will go slowly: now 90s... one week later 80s... one week later 70s... one week later 60s and so on.

Next week I'll start preparing my garden for winter, because it' no fun working at 50' F - with rain for days... Because rain will come too...

Temperature across the US of A. Few days ago at 9 am was much, MUCH warmer. It will get warmer later, but...

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 10:40

o

No regular highs in the 70's till November, just the regular soggy humid mess that won't even give me a dry day to finish the hoop house ...

o

Our weather is in Yo-Yo mode.

o

PC, I wouldn’t worry too much.

I’M SURE it will not rain ALL those 10 days.

Two weeks ago I gave this example:

Monday May 12, 2014, the forecast said that the ENTIRE WEEK will… rain !

Out of the 8 CONSECUTIVE days of raining - according to the weather forecast - only ONE DAY it rained: Friday.

While it’s true that in Florida the weather is EXTREMELY unpredictable, it might rain more than one day, but no way… TEN days !!!

@ seysonn: how cool is that ?

o

Daniel wrote
@ seysonn: how cool is that ?

Daniel, What da ya mean? hehe

Look at our lows, if you will. Even when high is 87F, night low is 58F. Never have had a night all summer for the lows get above 61F. 99% of homes have no cooling system around here.

o

seysonn, I meant that your... HIGHEST are "cool" / nice / beautiful / marvelous.... for this time of the year.

o

93 degrees here yesterday, high humidity and I was outside (under shade) all day. Drank 4 pints of water from 9am-4pm and didn't use the bathroom. Heavy rain/flash floods predicted - we heard thunder around 3pm, saw lightning to the south around 7pm but I don't know if we got anything - maybe after midnight but it wasn't heavy. It is wet, and the determinate tomatoes in the house garden that looked fine on Wed now look like they have LB so after things dry out I have pruning to do, will have to check on the indeterminates that on Friday were starting to get septoria.

I might have to haul water today or tomorrow, at least to the squash, greens and beans out back.

But my watermelon vines are now sprawling all over the house garden (fat lot of good it does now) and I picked the first ripe cantaloupe this morning (seeded May 27)!

o

Hi Daniel, thanks for the words and I sure hope you're right. Now it's 2 days after the 10-day straight rain forecast, and it rained enough to not be able to paint yesterday and today it started drizzling at 4am and 5 hours later if you walk outside you can't really feel the rain but it is there and everything is getting wet. My new 10 day forecast with the two new days still is 10 days straight rain. (sigh) This place is weird, it is Florida weather in the Summer till late December, and then the first front that comes through from the north turns it into regular US weather for winter. Nothing is ever great with the worst of both worlds. Until we turn into winter when it gets like this, when the temperature increases, it causes the rain. If it doesn't rain, the temperature increases and we might get a dry couple of days in between switches, but the cycle is repeating every day for the moment, so that's the best I'm hoping for so I can have a hoop house that will give me the rain protection I need.

Hope L.I. has a great finish!

PC, who might as well say "I live in a greenhouse, but I can't open the windows, because they are in Georgia."

o

The weather reporting and forecasting companies are smart. The always throw in a probability number. That takes care of everything. They would never, hardly ever put a 100% there.
So, for example, they say there is a 50% chance of rain. Now what can you make out of it ? NOTHING. You might as well toss a coin and forecast the rain or shine. What if they say there will a 20% chance of rain and it pours all day ? They are covered, the 20% won.

o

Still beautiful weather across the US of A.

o

Look at this temps snap shot.
Mostly in 70s and 89s.
Lowest 66F in some coastal CA and 68F somewhere in Maine. Ours right now is 82F. Highest 102F somewhere in Arizona.
Is this great or what !

o

, they say there is a 50% chance of rain. Now what can you make out of it ? NOTHING.

Too funny, too true! I only have an 80% chance of rain for today and the next 4 days. Does that mean one day will be dry Nooooooo.

PC

o

Getting cooler...

o

Getting colder.

Highest today, Tuesday September 9, 2014, ONLY 73' F !

EXACTLY, one week ago, it was 90' F - feels like 96' F.

Tonight lowest will be 63' F !

Few days ago at night it was... 73' F !

Who knows what temperature will be in one week...

o

Yeah. It is cooling off by the Pacific , as it does by the Atlantic.
Our highs are in mid to low 70s. Lows in low 50s. Tomorrow night will dip to 49F.
Still, this is better than average. Cannot complain.

o

Some where in PNW, at a glance.
Getting Fall like.

o

still nice here in Long Island (NY.)

Nights are getting colder, so I'll start covering a section of my tomatoes.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 8:01

o

It's close to freezing point far north.

o

Not 84' F as forecasted, but 81' F is VERY nice for September 11. Unfortunately, I don't think this beautiful weather, will last for long... One of these days will be 65' F the highest, and 50' F the lowest.

I took advantage of this beautiful weather and I cleaned the lawn, re-seeded, fertilized... the whole 9 yards. My lawn is ready for winter.

o

Compared to WI, we are doing fine

Today: Hi =77F : Tonight : Lo =47F
Same story for tomorrow and tomorrow night.

I keep harvesting one basket every other day out of 30 plants or so.

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 23:19

It's snowing (well technically "sleeting" but at that point, who's really counting? Snow is snow is crappy snow) here in Denver tonight. A fact I am not exactly overjoyed about.

o

69' F highest today Saturday, September 13, 2014, Long Island (NY),

First day with highest in the 60s.

o

I rained today in the late afternoon, like 1 hour.

I don't like my plants overnight to be wet and mid... 50s outside...

I'll spray some copper Monday. It's time anyway.

9 pm, just came from outside: a light rain started.

Wet and cold... bad combo.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 21:13

o

Here we go: cold and humid...

First night with lowest in the... 50s.

Starting tonight I will cover some of my tomatoes.

I have a kind of small hoop house.

o

We are still warmer here @ PNW area. Today's high ~~85F.

It seems that North and Northeast is getting cooler.

o

Cold and chilly in Montreal. Yesterday was miserable, rained most of the day. Temps in the 40's at night and possibility of frost coming. My tomatoes are finished and most rare cut down.. Oh well on to next year!

o

Still nice here, but harder and harder to get even in lower 70s...

o

94 here in reno today-probably the same next ten days. oven drying and freezing a couple of gallons of tomatoes a day. night temps in the 50's but they almost always are. day and night variation is usually 40 or 50 degrees.

o

Today Monday the highest was 75' F.

YAY !!!

Well, looks like tonight, the lowest will be in upper 50s, so today I covered a few plants in a small hoop house.

I'm curious what temperature will be tomorrow morning, "outside" and "inside..."

I estimate that tomorrow at 7 am will be in lower 60s outside and lower 70s inside the hoop house.

Tomrow morning, I plan to leave the hoop house closed until the temperature will be inside in higher 80s then I will open a little bit. Otherwise, at midday, it could get to 100'+ F inside.

I'm also curious to see how FASTER they ripe in the closed hoop house.

Today I closed the hoop house 1 hour before the tree shade was above the hoop house. While outside was lower 70s, in about 1 hr. inside was 88' F.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 21:15

o

Fall is inevitable, Daniel.

Though our high today is 90F, tomorrow will be 79F and by Thursday it will go down to 67F and then again will bounce up to 86F then down again.

But it is not over until the fat lady sings :-)

o

Still nice today Tuesday: highest 71' F

o

Yesterday I covered a section of my garden in a small hoop house.

In the morning outside there were 60' F. Inside my hoop house 70' F.

During the day outside the highest was in lower 70s, in the hoop house was upper 80s. When it reached 90' F, I opened a little bit the cover.

The tomatoes in the hoop house are very happy. In 2 days covered, they ripe more than in one week at 70' F, uncovered.

I'm so happy that many large tomatoes inside the hoop house will ripe.

o

Wow. That is super, Daniel.
Good luck and please report back. Better yet, make another thread.

o

Wednesday September 17, 2014, at 6 am… temperature outside: 50’ F

I’m sure the lowest last night was in upper (mid ?) 40s.

In the hoop house ONLY 55’ F. I have to work a little bit and get a better insulation. Within some limits, because PLASTIC FOIL is not exactly a good thermal insulator.

The main purpose of the hoop house was for rain protection, but I took advantage to use these days, for cold protection too. I should have done this last week, when temperatures dropped, with highest in the 70s.

So, it’s getting colder, but the sun it’s shinning and it will be a gorgeous day, today.

Btw, I see some… SNOW in Ontario, Canada… A little too early, I would say.

While the tomatoes that are in the hoop house, ripe very, VERY fast, the ones outside ripe, much, MUCH slower. Obviously, they don’t like 50’ F.

o

Clear plastic works similar to window glass. It can trap solar heat (greenhouse effect) during the day. And at night it prevent cooling by convection ( air mixing and moving). But it will loose heat by:

1) Conduction ( small amount)
2) Radiation to the space

It can be more advantageous if it gets windy/breezy at night, So then under the hoop will cool down at much slower rate than outside air.

o

Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 16:15

Can someone explain why so many of you start covering your tomatoes when the overnight lows reach the 50's?

Really just curious because I never have, and through the whole summer we rarely ever see lows above 59, and usually lower. Not even weird weather really, it's been like that here in Denver for at least the past 25 years.

Anyways, I always figured in the 50's was pretty mild, and that tomatoes would be plenty happy with a night time low of around 55? At least, I've never seen any adverse affects from it. In fact, depending on variety, I can usually even pick ripe tomatoes by the end of July or mid August at the latest. So, just a little curious why 60F seems to be the lower limit for so many people.

o

Zack, I agree with you,

Most of Our night lows in July, August, September (so far) have been in 50s: That is, only 17 out of 80 nights lows stayed in 60F or higher ( that is 1 out of 5 ). and 63 nights were in 50s( 4 out of 5 nights).
I would start to worry when the lows drop to mid 40s and lower.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 20:28

o

ZachS wrote:

> Can someone explain why so many of you start covering your tomatoes when the overnight lows reach the 50's?

I am one of those who started covering tomatoes. I was not aware that others covered their tomatoes too.

This Wednesday morning at 6 am it was 50’ F. That means that the lowest last night was in mid 40s - probably 45’ F.

> Really just curious because I never have…

To satisfy your curiosity, in my case, I think my tomatoes like - during the night - 65’ F more than 45’ F.

In the last two days since I started covering my tomatoes, over half of the tomatoes in the covered area, started ripening. In this rhythm, in few more days ALL the tomatoes in the covered area will have a blush or two.

WITHOUT covering, I’m sure it would take at least two weeks to get the same result as 4-5 days with the tomatoes covered. I don’t know what temperature will be in the next two days - no, I DON'T trust weather forecast - much less in the next… two weeks, so I simply didn't want to take the risk.

The other tomatoes that are not covered, ripe very VERY slow - compared to the ones that are covered.

> Anyways, I always figured in the 50's was pretty mild, and that tomatoes would be plenty happy with a night time low of around 55?

Would your tomatoes be happy at 45’ F ? Would they be happier at 65’ F at night in a covered environment ?

seysonn wrote:

> I would start to worry when the lows drop to mid 40s and lower.

Well, I HAD 45’ F the lowest last night. Should I worry ? Yes, I worried, that’s why I started covering my tomatoes.

By the way, today Wednesday September 17, 2014, the highest was… 77’ F !!!

What can I say ? Way to go, Indian Summer !

o

Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 23:22

Right there with you Seysonn. Our LFD for this year was mid May and our first frost was sometime last week. Between those dates we've had about 20-25 nights above 59F. We had about the same number nights in that period that were below 50F. The only time I covered was one tomato last week when it was snow/sleet. (Surprisingly enough the summer snow and 33F only caused minor damage to a couple beans, but the peppers, uncovered tomatoes, basil, and cucumbers didn't show any sign of the cold).

Anyways, I'm not knocking you at all Daniel, whatever works best for you is how you absolutely should do things. Just curious like I said because covering my plants in July has never even occurred to me, even when the nights got down to 48F.

In spite of the two cold days last week, we're right back to the high 80's this week, so it may well turn out to be an Indian summer after all! We can always hope anyways.

o

I understand that Daniel's reason for making a hoop over his plants, is not so much to protect them but extend his growing season a bit longer. Tomato plants can survive down to freezing mark and only frost can kill them.

I know how to extend my season from the FRONT end, when the plants are small but with them over 7ft, I'll just let it go late in the season.

Anyway. Fall is just around the corner here. The next Thursday, our high is forecast @ 63F. But lows will still remain in 50s. That is good news.

o

Today Thursday at 6 am: 51' F.

The highest today... 79' F !!! Errr... WHAT ?

The forecast for the next 8 days is NICE, no rain at all.

THAT, I'm not so sure about. Rain can come out of the blue. We'll see.

o

Here is our 5Days. BUT the next 5Days not so good per forecast

Fall is inevitable !

o

Last night - Friday night - I went to sleep late. At 1 o’clock I checked the outside temperature: 59’ F. I said to my self: “good !”

One hour later I checked the temperature again: 54’ F. I said: “WHAT ?” 5 degrees drop in… ONE HOUR ???

I found that VERY strange, so I checked the map (please see map bellow.)

A cold, COLD air was coming from Canada. Getting close to Long Island and moving FAST ! Blue on the map, is bad news: 30-40’ F. As you can see on the map, the "blue"
was only few miles away from Long Island.

I did the math: if 5 degrees in one hour, at around 6 am it would reach the freezing point.

So, at 2 am I went outside, and picked up 95% of my tomatoes - there were ripped, with blushes, and green. I left the cherries, because they were complicated. A flashlight, a plastic bag and in 15 minutes I picked up everything.

Went to bed, and in the morning the temperature was in lower 40s. It didn’t freeze.

Now, I don’t know what happens to a tomato at 40’ F; most likely it’s ok. But I was not able to take the risk of freezing temperature.

Anyway, now I have a few ripped tomatoes, some with blushes and many green.

And they were doing sooooo good in the hoop house…With upper 80s / lower 90s.

My wife told me last night: “Maybe it will not go to the freezing point.”

“Maybe”, I replied. “But, they better ripe inside, than throwing them frozen" I added.

Btw, today Saturday, September 20, 2014, the highest was… 75’ F.

Oh well…

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 21:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here